Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent time in the Boone area and a "tourist" guide said Rocky Knob trails were "dog friendly". Can MTBers and dogs co-exist on a single track? What happens when you come around a curve and someone has their dog on a 6 foot leash strung across the track? For that matter, what happens if a large dog decides you present a "threat to it's owner? (Not it's "daddy" or "mama", it's owner ;)) Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, have had several I loved, but these days, anywhere you go, people HAVE to take their dogs along. Gets really annoying trying to walk when it's getting crowded and having to constantly watch out for dog leashes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
made me laugh

the 'mammas and daddys' comment made me laugh pretty hard.

I took my six month old puppy to the gravity nationals this weekend and I was floored by three things:
People with dogs that were absolutely out of control, and who had no friggin clue that their dogs were out of control.
People who think that it is ok to to walk up to someone else's dog and pet it/feed it/baby talk/encourage it to jump up on them/turn their dog loose on it/etc, etc.
People who acted like I said their mother was a whore when I said 'please don't pet my dog'.

You wouldn't let your child run amock screaming; why do you let your dog run crazy and bark continually? You wouldn't walk up to me and start patting my ass and feeding me chips; why do that to my dog? I guess these folks weren't raised right. My parents taught me very early on to never approach or pet a dog without asking the owner first.

As far as the trail goes... I think most poeple just cut their dog loose and expect it to know how to behave. That doesn't work, and usually the owners either a)have no clue that their dog is a danger/problem (see above) or b)think there is something wrong with the dog ('why doesn't jake follow like a good dog?').

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dogs seem to be the exception at RK. I've seen a couple dogs on leashes, and several dogs on the free run program with no problems from either beyond the barking which is just how dogs are.

I've taken my favorite trail companion hiking there off-leash a couple of times when the parking lot is empty but I do carry a leash for other people's comfort.

FWIW it is posted that dogs need to be leashed.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
It sounds to me like the OP is complaining about dogs on leashes.

What happens when you come around a curve and someone has their dog on a 6 foot leash strung across the track?
Gets really annoying trying to walk when it's getting crowded and having to constantly watch out for dog leashes.
I don't know anything about Rocky Knob but I'll assume that like most trails that mountain bikes are allowed on mountain bikers are expected to control their speed and be prepared to yield (and stop if necessary) to other trail users including people so selfish as to be walking their dog on a leash.

I'd advise finding a place less crowded to ride. I rode ____ _____ just outside of Asheville last weekend and by noon it was too crowded for me. I got tired of pulling over every two minutes to yield for other trail users. I won't be going back there on a weekend ;).

·
endorphin junkie
422 Posts
I'd advise finding a place less crowded to ride. I rode ____ _____ just outside of Asheville last weekend and by noon it was too crowded for me. I got tired of pulling over every two minutes to yield for other trail users. I won't be going back there on a weekend ;).
Here's a little secret: The best time to ride in ____ _____ and not run into big crowds is ____ _____. And also ____ _____. :D

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Rocky Knob Park is in Boone and it is a mountain bike specific park and trails. Hikers (and leashed dogs) are allowed, but hikers yield to mtn bikes.

The project is hybrid construction with contractors doing the design work and machine work, and volunteers doing hand finish work behind. Trail Dynamics designed and built Phase 1 which has been open for a few months now.

A skills area will happen in spring 2012.

Woody

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
Rocky Knob Park is in Boone and it is a mountain bike specific park and trails. Hikers (and leashed dogs) are allowed, but hikers yield to mtn bikes.
I stand corrected. I was not aware that hikers were to yield to bikers. But I have to wonder what the expectation is for when a biker approaches a hiker? Should the hiker immediately jump out of the way? Since hikers are allowed on the trail it would seem like the reasonable expectation would be for the mtn bike to announce their presence and then for the hiker to step to the side, gathering their leashed dog in the process. The mtn bike would likely have to slow considerably and still be prepared to stop which can be a bummer, I know, but you really can't just plow them down, can you? I think single use specific as well as directional trails can be a good way to reduce user conflict in heavy use areas but as long as trails are multiuse mtn bikers should expect other users and should be riding in control and be prepared to stop if necessary. Hurt a hiker bad enough and the trail could be shut down regardless of who was supposed to yield, right?

Personally, I like to hike with my dog where my chances of encountering any other user are lowest but lots of people just go for the convenience factor. When I want to take my dog someplace convenient I go to Fletcher Park and the clueless dog walkers drive me absolutely nuts! They keep their dogs on these ridiculous 25' retractable leashes and are oblivious to the fact that other users might not want their dog to approach them and by the time they figure it out they struggle to try and reign the dog back in but their dog is already out 25' on a flimsy piece of string :madmax:. And don't even get me started on the elderly who think it is necessary to slowly walk three abreast on the sidewalk or the fat families who waddle along with their children in strollers or on bikes giggling about how cute they are and acting like everyone should stop and comment on how freaking cute the little fatties are when all I want to do is run with my dog!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Rocky Knob Park was built for mountain bikers by mountain bikers, thus why it is a bike park first and foremost. Hikers have no skin in the game at all and the original intent of the trails was not hiking only as is the case on most of your local trails in Pisgah.

All trails at Rocky Knob are directional with mountain bikes routed in one direction and foot traffic in the opposite direction. This is a management tool we recommend from time to time in new trail systems to help reduce surprises and potential user conflict.

My guess is that 90+% of the traffic at RKP is mountain bike, though there is the occional trail runner or hiker (some with dogs). There are many miles of trails available for hikers in the high country area (and all allow dogs, some on leash and others off leash), but Rocky Knob is the only legal single track in the county and close to Boone.

Hikers can simply step out of the way and off trail when the see/hear a biker coming through.

We do however advocate that mountain bikers always ride in control and at safe speeds for their ability, and yes watch out for other users on the trails.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Off the subject, but since I started this thread, I'm allowed.;) Bass Lake and Trout Lake would be good "smooth" riding for exercise purposes, but bikes are banned. In the meantime, you've got several hundred (or thousand) pounds of horse poop washing into the lakes every year. What's that all about?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Off the subject, but since I started this thread, I'm allowed.;) Bass Lake and Trout Lake would be good "smooth" riding for exercise purposes, but bikes are banned. In the meantime, you've got several hundred (or thousand) pounds of horse poop washing into the lakes every year. What's that all about?
For 19 years, I lived about 4 miles from Moses Cone and would have loved to been able to ride there for exercise spins.

The answer to your question:

-National Park Service
-Moses Cone trails were bridal trails to start with built by Moses Cone when privately owned by the man who invented denim(as in blue jeans).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.