Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We ride east coast rocky rooty tech stuff. Moderate speeds sometimes as low as a few mph and sometimes 20 mph.

I am wondering what fork setup is recommended. We don’t have a ton of smooth fast stuff but a ton of tech.

Love to hear opinions on what is ideal for how a fork should behave and why. Seems most stock setups are built for this type of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,705 Posts
It is extremely rider dependent. How about telling us what you are riding (bike), current suspension and settings, weight, and what you are trying to improve from your current setup?

·
Professional Crastinator
6,829 Posts
I have found that on low-speed rocks, I want the fork to sit high. It can respond more slowly and be fine.
But if I'm plowing through baby heads at higher speeds, I will want it more active and plush.

...which is always my beef with suspension: It is almost always a compromise.

As far as how do you set up your fork to achieve either of those scenarios? It's different for everyone. 190#, I have, like, 4 tokens, and 25% sag on a 140mm Pike Select and I use all the travel (but only on the hardest hits).

-F

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I ride the same stuff as OP. I've recently discovered that I like a pretty progressive spring for aggressive riding. I'm 200lbs and currently have 3 tokens and low-ish pressure. Rebound somewhere in the middle, and a fair amount of compression damping. The fork sits mostly high, and the compression keeps the fork stiff and controlled, while the low-ish pressure makes for a fairly supple give off the top.

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.