Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm in OR for a few days. What are some really rocky and technical trails in OR (did McKenzie River Trail already). Would prefer some scenery too but rock and tech is priority. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
This thread will point you to the dearth of natural black-diamond technical trails in Oregon.

Off the top of my head:

There's some loose lava-filled technical trails on Mt. Bachelor. Most of them are more rock and tech than typical bike-park flow actually.

Bend has rocks on COD and Grand Slam. COD in particular is being rebuilt to be 100% rock, but it's taking a long time.

Big Bunchgrass, Little Bunchgrass, Heckletooth in Oakridge have a wide mix of features, including a couple rocky sections. Black diamond trails for sure but more of a logistical / backcountry feel than a rocky experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thread will point you to the dearth of natural black-diamond technical trails in Oregon.

Off the top of my head:

There's some loose lava-filled technical trails on Mt. Bachelor. Most of them are more rock and tech than typical bike-park flow actually.

Bend has rocks on COD and Grand Slam. COD in particular is being rebuilt to be 100% rock, but it's taking a long time.

Big Bunchgrass, Little Bunchgrass, Heckletooth in Oakridge have a wide mix of features, including a couple rocky sections. Black diamond trails for sure but more of a logistical / backcountry feel than a rocky experience.
Awesome, thanks tbmaddux!

·
Registered
18,813 Posts
I don't think tbmaddux is wrong, because COD and Bachy have exactly what the OP was asking for, but "everyone says" Bend is nothing but smooth and flowy xc trails. What a strange turn that Bend would be the place to go in all of Oregon for rocks and tech.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
The truth is there isn't much.
Mary's Peak?
Eula Ridge?
Larison Creek?
Embrace the speed & flow Oregon offers?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My experience is the same. Big backcountry days but those are more about looooong runs of singletrack that just go and go and go, great dirt, and maybe roots and duff, but not being pounded by rocks.

Marys Peak is technical. Mainly roots, big massive root wads on North Ridge. There's one short leg on East Ridge that's super loose and rocky.

Eula is more steep and loose than rocky and technical.

If we open things up to rocky OR technical then we can start including things like Two Turntables and a Microwave at Sandy Ridge (rocky but not technical), Funner DH (rocky and super huckable but not technical), Marys Peak (technical but not rocky), and so on...

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
My experience is the same. Big backcountry days but those are more about looooong runs of singletrack that just go and go and go, great dirt, and maybe roots and duff, but not being pounded by rocks.

Marys Peak is technical. Mainly roots, big massive root wads on North Ridge. There's one short leg on East Ridge that's super loose and rocky.

Eula is more steep and loose than rocky and technical.

If we open things up to rocky OR technical then we can start including things like Two Turntables and a Microwave at Sandy Ridge (rocky but not technical), Funner DH (rocky and super huckable but not technical), Marys Peak (technical but not rocky), and so on...
I didn't realize how un-rocky Oregon is until I rode Noble Canyon and other trails in San Diego.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I didn't realize how un-rocky Oregon is until I rode Noble Canyon and other trails in San Diego.
Must be something to do with all the damn trees we have.

Also the geology. There's tons of granite slabs in the Sierras, even on the west side. I grew up running around on that stuff every other summer on camping trips. Hell, Yosemite is littered with vertical monoliths thousands of feet high.

Even where we have rocks it's a lot more broken up, and it's basalt and not granite. Just look at Smith Rock. Until you get to southern Oregon. I'm not sure where the line is but the granite in Ashland is fun albeit not technical and not slabs of it.

·
128 Posts
Subscribing.

I too love the open rocky terrain, a lot like Syncline area. A lot of the riding here is covered in trees and on a nice sunny day I'd rather be in the open. But Syncline is rocky and fun. Its small so it takes a few laps but I really enjoy the terrain.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.