Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone post me up a good route to thread most of the good trails into a 9+ miler.

Want to head out there with some friends on Saturday, none of us have been there yet. Reading some of the posts say its boring if you are going on the wrong trails. I get enough borning during the week would love some fun stuff.

Or would you go ride the Rockhopper Race route?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
erginguney said:
This one's not a bad start:

http://bayarearides.com/rides/rockville/

with the exception of these factors:

• It's not nine miles. (Repeat it twice and you get 14 miles, though...)
  • I'd omit the part where it's climbing on Cave Trail, as explained there.
Great thanks for the info. Anyone else have any don't go up but go down or no down but up??? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
this is what we did our first time there a month ago:

We started from the east entrance, devils backbone to upper and lower tilly, but somehow missed manzanita, although we saw the bottom of it. From there, hit both lakes, then up 16/may-dec, then down rockgarden a few times. Then up 16/may-dec again, but then up the fireroad to the tower, then down a nice drop to outside loop and then another loop of unknown loop, which had switchbacks that were hardly even rideable they were so steep, and Fem Falls which was brutal. Up and down cave, then upper quarry and quarry back to the car. We were told the bottom left corner of the park is boring and a big climb out, so we avoided it.

I was unimpressed with rockville, but have fun!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok anyone else have a more impressive route than Redman? I would like to leave with a happy face.

Our group will have 2 FS and 2 HT bikes so maybe that would make a bit of difference on where we ride?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Technical rocks, so hardtails are fine, switch out a bashguard for the large ring if you can.

Visited there for the first time a couple weeks ago, rode nearly every trail (many twice) in only 13 miles or so. I didn't find many trails where direction matters much other than short obvious steep trails. A lot of the best trails were fun in both directions.

There are a lot more trails and braided trails than shown on the maps - so it was a bit frustrating trying to follow the map. Better to figure out generally where you want to go, then explore at will. Sure you'll double back (a lot), but it's all fun - who wouldn't want to go back and forth in a candy store?

Just remember to put on the rock ring/bashguard if you get a chance!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will keep the bashguard in mind, I tend to ride a lot in my big chain ring. Anyone else pro/con for bashguards at this place?

I think I am going to end up spending some time at the shop and getting things mapped out for a nice flowy ride.

All 4 of use ride different,
Me charge headlong into things and hold on and hope for the best
other FS guy picks his lines like he was riding a HT
one HT guy bunny hops everything
the other HT guy kills us on the uphills but runs slow heading down almost being too careful.

should be an interesting day.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I use my big ring a lot too, which is why I didn't have a bashguard on - but I would have had a lot more fun with a bashguard.

It's a fun place, but not flowy - get ready for lots of on and off the bike unless you have some major technical skills. More like a session-rock-gardens type of place.

Like I mentioned, not much point in trying to plan a good route. There are more trails than the maps show, some of the existing trails are shown incorrectly, and everything is very short. You'll be better served by figuring out the basic layout and then just go where you feel like - if you stop every minute (or less) at the next junction to try to figure out the map, it's not as much fun. The place is small, just go explore! Definitely bring the map to figure things out of course - but not all trails are shown. You can hit every section of every marked trail in the place in probably 4-5 hours of riding (going slow, looking at maps type speed).

·
Registered
641 Posts
redmr2_man said:
We were told the bottom left corner of the park is boring and a big climb out, so we avoided it.
Yes...the big climb out is all of 6-7 minutes so it should be avoided.

Best way to hit Rockville is to go with someone who has been there before...otherwise just go with the attitude that you may wander around a bit but that you will come back again with a better understanding. Several of the best trails are not obvious when you ride past them.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Who is going to Rockville tomorrow and wants to hold hands?"

fourarm said:
Best way to hit Rockville is to go with someone who has been there before....
I guess I should change the thread to "Who is going to Rockville tomorrow and wants to hold hands?"

I am going to pick up some Pliney tonight to have in the truck and bribe people at Rockville around 10AM look for the Dork in the big blue helmet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.