Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rode around Rockville park in the North Bay, only to find several trails interrupted by new fences. This is especially bad on the front corner (closest to the bike shop). There has always been the one fence that was ok to go over to get to the fun single track. But now the trail along the houses turns into 2 fences. You can go around one, and ride the old trail up and out, but then have to squirm over a barbed wire fence.

Of course, there is the fence around the lower pond, but many more fences spreading outwards from there. I can understand if the fences are there to preserve a habitat or prevent pollution to the pond, but the random locations of the other fences are absolutely mind boggling! There are no signs letting you know that bikes are prohibited on the other side of the fences, and there are no signs letting you know that the trail has been terminated by a fence.

Hopefully that the fencing doesn’t continue to sprawl out and interrupt all of the trails in the park.

-B

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Boundary problem?

I haven't beem to Rockville yet, but it sounds like a cool place. but I'm wondering if the boundaries of the park are in dispute or not well marked. I'm guessing from your post that the park is or was grazed, thus the fence around the pond.

But a trail that has a fence across it is a big flag in my mind; maybe not a red flag, but a yellow one anyway. And if there is a new fence up across a trail with no signage, I'd really be wondering what's going on, or if the trail I was on was really in the park.

Anyone?

·
Mtb Bum
144 Posts
Been a few weeks, but...

HarryCallahan said:
I haven't beem to Rockville yet, but it sounds like a cool place. but I'm wondering if the boundaries of the park are in dispute or not well marked. I'm guessing from your post that the park is or was grazed, thus the fence around the pond.

But a trail that has a fence across it is a big flag in my mind; maybe not a red flag, but a yellow one anyway. And if there is a new fence up across a trail with no signage, I'd really be wondering what's going on, or if the trail I was on was really in the park.

Anyone?
No dispute on boundaries that i know of, but last time I rode Rockville there were new fences up and most of those did seem to be protecting habitat. A month or two ago I saw a good size work crew planting what I assume is vegetation they want to restore along a seaonal stream bed inside those new fences.

Most of the new fences I saw were along that streambed, but if the creek is no longer flowing, they probably don't look very logical.

Anyone else been there lately and seen new fences that have been erected in the last four weeks or so?

Erik

·
Registered
241 Posts
BRacing said:
We rode around Rockville park in the North Bay, only to find several trails interrupted by new fences. This is especially bad on the front corner (closest to the bike shop). There has always been the one fence that was ok to go over to get to the fun single track. But now the trail along the houses turns into 2 fences. You can go around one, and ride the old trail up and out, but then have to squirm over a barbed wire fence.

Of course, there is the fence around the lower pond, but many more fences spreading outwards from there. I can understand if the fences are there to preserve a habitat or prevent pollution to the pond, but the random locations of the other fences are absolutely mind boggling! There are no signs letting you know that bikes are prohibited on the other side of the fences, and there are no signs letting you know that the trail has been terminated by a fence.

Hopefully that the fencing doesn�t continue to sprawl out and interrupt all of the trails in the park.

-B
Saw them about 2 months ago I think, but I hadn't been there for a few months before that so I'm not exactly sure when they first popped up. Having to scale the fence then ride right next to it was really annoying for sure.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Enviro terrorist Alert

Probably just hikers or home owners who see bikes as a problem setting up traps for people. I had a run in with a guy setting logs and sharpened sticks in the EBRP who thought it would be just fine if his meddling cost the life of an unsuspecting biker. I say cut the fences if they are not put up by legitimate land managers.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
this is getting out of hand. Rockville seems to be getting smaller by the day. I havent been in about 3 months but it sounds like ill need to bring some wire cutters along next time

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
while I don't see an immediate need for the 'wire cutters', I would like an explanation from the Parks Dept as to why so many fences have been erected. I would also like to see a final plan to the fencing, and where it will all be located.

You brought up a good point, that several trails HAVE been properly marked. Unfortunately the springtime grass has quickly overgrown many of the trails that have-yet to be marked.

-B

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
BRacing said:
while I don't see an immediate need for the 'wire cutters', I would like an explanation from the Parks Dept as to why so many fences have been erected. I would also like to see a final plan to the fencing, and where it will all be located.

You brought up a good point, that several trails HAVE been properly marked. Unfortunately the springtime grass has quickly overgrown many of the trails that have-yet to be marked.

-B
Heres the contact:
For more information contact Ranger Teri Geiger at 707.428-7614
or
History Park Maps

·
3,533 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Still shootin' for the bottom of that popularity poll, I see. :rolleyes:

fp
more like i stopped giving a fucc what you guys think. That *** roadbiker was wrong to suggest damaging someones car and should be shot, end of story. Road bikers do not pay for gas, do not pay registration, therefore ARE NOT entitled to the same rights that cars have on the roads, because they contribute nothing to the infrastructure of the roads, while cars do.

My opinion has already cost me the privelage of being able to ride with you guys, nothing ever came from all the fuccin pussies who threatened me because they never did anything. So ill keep lone staring it, and riding with the few people who could care less. This is a mountain bike forum for christ sake, and it shouldnt be filled with a bunch of spandex toting skinny tire **** who only bring out their mtn bikes on the weekends but are roadies the rest of the time.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,984 Posts
Just don't know when to shut up do you?

Melt said:
My opinion has already cost me the privelage of being able to ride with you guys, nothing ever came from all the fuccin pussies who threatened me because they never did anything. So ill keep lone staring it, and riding with the few people who could care less. This is a mountain bike forum for christ sake, and it shouldnt be filled with a bunch of spandex toting skinny tire **** who only bring out their mtn bikes on the weekends but are roadies the rest of the time.
Hmm... still lots of supressed anger here. Maybe if you stopped your posturing for 2 seconds you would realize that there are a lot of people who just flat like to ride bikes. My passion is mountain biking and I almost never ride road for recreation but I do ride my road bike to get to work. So according you your small world view I shouldn't be allowed here because I delve into the evil world of road riding. You really are an A-hole aren't you?

If you just STFU with your stupid macho mountain biker attitude and didn't take Finch and Pete's baiting this whole crap would just blow over.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Melt said:
Road bikers do not pay for gas, do not pay registration, therefore ARE NOT entitled to the same rights that cars have on the roads, because they contribute nothing to the infrastructure of the roads, while cars do.
umm, legally you are wrong.

oh, and PS, some local taxes are used for ROAD IMPROVEMENT projects, so, in theory, if a roadie buy a 10cent tootsie roll, they ARE contributing their portion.

I'm sure you pay all required day use fees at all parks you visit to support trail and park infrastructure, right?

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
You are completely talking out your A$s

Melt said:
more like i stopped giving a fucc what you guys think. That *** roadbiker was wrong to suggest damaging someones car and should be shot, end of story. Road bikers do not pay for gas, do not pay registration, therefore ARE NOT entitled to the same rights that cars have on the roads, because they contribute nothing to the infrastructure of the roads, while cars do.

Anyone who pays sales tax in the county i live in is contributing to transportastion system infrastructure. Also read the vehicle code and you might find that road cyclist LIKE MYSELF have the same rights to the road as anyone in a car. We are also held to the same rules and regulations as car drivers.

In every post youve made it seems that all you talk about is how something whether it be money or fences impacts you. Then you cant even get the facts straight. Youve got some growing to do man..

·
It "is" about the bike..
125 Posts
It wasn't Melt...

Don't bash on Melt, it wasn't him, really. It was his "little friend" hijacking his keyboard again and playing another joke on him, really it was.

Yeah right.

·
3,533 Posts
no, this time it was me posting ... and my original comments happened 2 months ago so i know its not gonna blow over because you guys all have nothing better to do.

And me driving a car and paying tax on my gas that i use contributes WAY more to the infrastruture than you morons buying tootsie rolls, so nice try, but the fact still remains that cars contribute more to the roads than cyclist, and therefore cyclists should not be entitled to the same rights.

And no you guys are not held to the same rules and regs cars as cause last time i checked you guys dont have lic plates, registration, or insurance. Also when i used to ride my bike to school i blew stop signs all the time and never once did cops in the vicinity say anything to me, while if i would have done the same in my car i would have surely been given a ticket.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.