Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I demoed a Norco FS bike and loved it.
Now it is out of my budget.
If i take the less expensive built it comes with
this fork. Do you recommand it?
Should i stay away?
I had XC 100 mm so i have no clue in this area.
I am a light weight who rides non agressively.
Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There's shorter travel Norcos out there if you're not an aggressive rider that'll be more pedal friendly for climbing. Sounds like you were on a Range or Sight based on 160mm travel. But, long travel bikes can sometimes coax you into riding more challenging stuff so maybe it'll end up being your perfect bike?

The Yari is basically a dumbed down Lyrik. Motion Control damper vs the better Charger damper. The Charger can be installed later if you end up hitting the MoCo's limitations. The one thing I've seen discussed here, and noticed after upgrading, is the stock damper chokes up on really big, fast hits. Square edged ledges at high speed, bombing through chunky rock gardens, jump landings, and so on. Other than that, it's a good fork and I really enjoyed it stock for probably 90% of my riding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a Sight and I recently upgraded the Yari to 150mm (from 140) and added the Debonair air spring upgrade. That with my mechanic switching it to 3mt Maxima oil made a huge difference in the fork. The packing up on bigger hits is much less and the fork feels way more plush but controlled. I would not rule a bike out if it has a Yari, as you can affordably tune it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There's a tendency in enthusiast forums to dislike anything that's not top shelf, whether brakes, or suspension, or whatever. The Yari is quite a step up from entry level forks, and got third or fourth place in BikeRadar's Top Ten Forks review recently. Despite its known shortcomings, unless you're really an assertive, fast rider it's quite capable. I rode mine stock to a whole slew of PR's and did some seriously chunky rides in Moab on mine stock on my Sight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
+1 for above post...

Unless you're a pro rider, bombing down a race run... you'll be fine on the Yari.

PS - tokens help with progressiveness of the Yari. The bigger you are the more you'll likely need. Tokens will help with small bump sensitivity during initial travel & help take big hits when deep into travel.

'Born to ride!'

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That fork is fine. My Kona (see sig) came with Yari 160...I've pounded the hell out of it for over a year and and 2000+ miles. I ride fairly aggressive for a 59 year old and I'm 6'4" / 220 so it's taken some abuse. I've considered upgrading to a Charger damper but it has performed well enough that I can't justify the $300. Don't be afraid to experiment with settings to find what works best for you. Lots of info out there on how to dial in your suspension.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are expecting a few sunny days. Hopefully a shop will have 1 in my size to do more than a 5 min. try but it is probably a good bike for me and my budget. Thanks all !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.