Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering updating my fork on my Rockhopper 29 in the near future. Currently have the standard

SR Suntour XCM-LO 29", hydraulic damping w/ lockout, coil/MCU spring, 1-1/8" steel steerer, alloy disc only post-mount lower, 30mm stanchion, preload adj., S: 80mm, Others: 100mm travel

What is everyone's opinion on the RockShox XC TK 29. I would like to have air suspension with the ability to set sag, compression, and rebound externally. Good match for my Rockhopper 29?

·
RAKC
7,599 Posts
better than your current fork, but Id personally save a bit longer and get a bit better. I did what your about to do and though my fork works decent and all, its flexy under my 270lbs and still a bit on the heavy side compared to most forks that are only a bit more than those. And I even have the XC 32 version.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
Check the Suntour upgrade program... You can get a Raidon for about $200 or so. Won't save you much weight, but it's an air fork getting pretty good reviews. What's your budget?

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
I do really like mine, I've ridden both the Raidon and XCT/XCR line from Suntour, and it is a step up. If you're over 230lb the fork can feel a bit noodly if you're using that entire travel range, but for riders under 200 the Raidon starts to feel comparably good. I'm in between that range, so I was overwhelming the raidon with regard to mid-range response and I was able to bottom it out without getting any small bump compliance, but my lighter friends had no such problems.
For that frame any good 32mm stanchion setup should hold up fine if you're not far into clyde territory, for my part I'm right where I want a 34mm even in a trail use fork, but for value among the 32mm if you can find a used TK Silver Recon, go with that.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My rocky trailhead has that fork. If you can try demo one that will be your best bet how you will like it. Get the shop to set for your weight, mine was set for a 140 lb person at 60 psi, i put in 150 psi and i like it.

Its an ok fork, light years better than my rs judys on my schwinn. Man, wish i would have got heavier springs years ago.

I like that its air adjustable and it has the lock out, seems beefy enough for trails.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I just got a recon gold off of eBay for $200,new so I don't know why anyone would consider the xc32 as an upgrade unless it was being given to them. Look into that suntour upgrade. I've heard a lot of good things about it

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts