Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
pedals
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a mid priced fork for a specialized hardtail chromoloy frame to use on mountain and forest trails. It's not a light bike anyway and I weigh 16 stone (6ft 4)
I want something that is reliable.

What do you reckon? Rockshox Tora 302 or Marzocchi 44 rlo

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have the Marz 44 RLO. It is cheap, plush, kind of heavy, dives a bit under braking, but has decent build quality. My main issue with it is that it is too tall for many applications. It is a 120 - 140mm fork. If you put it on a frame that is designed for 80 to 100mm, you may not like what it does to your geometry. I didn't, and took the fork off the bike.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try to get Tora 318, it should't be much more expensive than 302 and it's much better. Or get a 302 and then after a while you can upgrade to Argyle 409 damper if you feel the need.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The Tora 302 can be upgraded to the 318 damper for about $50 US...so performance wise that is a big improvement. The big downside of the 302 is the non-serviceable bushings. Given with proper maintenance your very unlikely to need this service but it's nice to know it's available.

Are Manitou products available to you, the Match is in the same price range and has a far superior damper to either of the forks you listed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts