Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29'er Reba

Edit Cloxxki : I altered this thread's title because I think some people might have overlooked it, while it's really about a first-degree breakhrough for 29". Recognition for 29" racing in the form of race-specific forks by RockShox.

Original post :

I don't ride a 29'er, but thought you guys would be interestedhttp://www.fisherbikes.com/happenings/news.asp?id=110

·
Registered
548 Posts
rock shock 29er!

It says "Fisher has a one year exclusive for both OE and US aftermarket sales of this product"

does this mean I have to buy the shock from Fisher if I want it? And WB's got 4 29er shocks coming. Looks my two zokes are in trouble...

john voss
miami fl

·
Registered
323 Posts
Funny

SOFTBUTT said:
I don't ride a 29'er, but thought you guys would be interestedhttp://www.fisherbikes.com/happenings/news.asp?id=110
I just got finished reading that myself before I came over here and BOOM...it's here already...my how news travels fast...I talked with my rep about this and he said Fisher does have an exclusive agreement to sell the fork for 05....I think I'll have to put this baby on my Supercal !!!!!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I've been hoping on such news for a few months, it's great to read it. All my forks are in trouble.
I saw the 26" Reba in February already, and was really impressed. It should make a 1700-1800g 80mm with good stiffness and the stable platform-style internals I've been wishing for for so long. It will never match the WB's stiffness, I just can't imagine that. It won't be cheap either. Fork buyers with $600 to spend will have to chose between the stiffness and proven reliability of the WB, and the shear ease of the Motion Control in the RockShox.
That Fox campaign is obsolete now, the Rockshox folks are really not taking hostages on their come-back to the high-end fork bizz.

Here's a toast to Gary Fisher. They first gave us 29" production bikes that shoke the world, helped convince the UCI to allow us to race them, and then offered a race-specific fork to close the gap to 26" Fox and Manitou riders. Way to go, Fisher!

Anyone have a spare wildcard to enter the Olympics? I NEED to testride that fork...

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Hmm! This is quite interesting. RS has made no bone about it before that they didn't want to enter the 29" market. Wonder how hard ol' Gary had to grovel, how many pairs of his pants have holes in the knees? It is great news though. Wonder what pricing is going to be?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Did Rockshox show such explicit disinterest in 29"?
And how would Manitou feel now? They were really not interested in even considering a 29" campaign, despite good relations with the Fisher/Subaru team, and requests from various manufacturers.
I have a good feeling about this move by Rockshox, and the effor Fisher put into making it all happen. Fisher's top 29" bikes are bound to be great race gear even more than before. And 29" as a valid racing wheelsize is promoted even better.

I hope my fellow countryman Bart Brentjens, Rockshox rider if I'm not ill-recalling, will use the 29" Reba as a completion of Giant's not-so-secret 29" test program. He was 3rd in the Marathon worlds last weekend, just seconds behind 2nd, his result of last year. If only he had the same trust in the 29" platform for his body- and riding style, hemight have been world champion now, and heading for a second Olympic gold after Atlanta '96. Or will Giant ask him to do the Olympics on 26", because they don't have the 29" program finished yet, and the 2005 show season is already coming up...? Same dilemma probably concerns some other riders and brands, the timing of their 29" program and the Olympics sure doesn't make it easy for them to do the right thing.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Same dilemma probably concerns some other riders and brands, the timing of their 29" program and the Olympics sure doesn't make it easy for them to do the right thing.
This is the OLYMPICS, sponsor's wishes be damned! You've got one shot at it every four years, you're going to be riding what you think is the fastest setup for you. I hope this means we see more 29ers, but at the same time I'd have a hard time believing that if we don't it's because contenders are caving to their sponsors' pressure to ride a bike which they deem to be slower.

Great news about Rock Shox, and it seems it was the teams initiating the demand for the 29" forks for the Olympics, not just Rock Shox throwing the idea out there and hoping someone would bite. Either way my respect for Rock Shox and the likelihood that I will buy one of their forks in the near future just increased exponentially. Manitou and Fox are really looking like the odd ones out with Rock Shox, Marzocchi, and White Brothers all in on the 29" game. Who will be the next to jump in?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The next one to jump in, will actually be among the last. The manufacturers with the heart for the sport are known. White Brothers in front, Marzocchi 2nd though through a substantial Fisher OEM deal only, Suntour 3rd and now Rockshox, starting their product's exposure in racing.
Ironically, the first 29" suspension forks seem to have been existing Manitou units, while they refuse to make a real 29" fork. They still have fat-tire capable touring forks, but you can't really call those MTB forks of the same level as their 26" offerings.

·
This place needs an enema
17,448 Posts
Got it...

1737g (uncut) on my scale.

Mine is set at 100mm travel, and being installed on my Leviathan as I write this.

Taking it up to Crested Butte this weekend to get a few miles on it.

I'll report back when I've learned something.

MC

Attachments

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Lenz

mikesee said:

Mine is set at 100mm travel, and being installed on my Leviathan as I write this.

MC
That 'der bike sure is sexy!!!

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
mikesee said:

MC
what is the stanction tube diamter? surely not the usual RS 26? Marzy = 30, WB = 32....RS = ????? Curious if it'll be a noodle. I see the lockout, but does it have inertial damping type qualities?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
D*mn you, Mike, you've done it again!! Thanks for the scale check, though, really appreciate it.
Can the fork be switched between 100 and 80mm, or is it fixed? I'm glad you were the first one of us to get it, though, you've been riding that bike with the BW 1.0 and 0.8 before, I'm sure you'll tell us all we ever wanted to know about it's performance.
I didn't pay enough attention in the RS seminar, but the tubing is at least 30mm, I remember Dirk Belling making a point of it, to reach optimum stiffness. The Reba is the successor of the already pretty well performing Duke platform, and I think it'll have o compete with the Manitou Minute in 26", will probably blow away Marzocchi in 29", and keep the forlks in Grand Junction alert. ;-)
1737g is very nice, only second to White Brothers in terms of weight. I think the new all-air BW 1.0 will be around 60g over the 1600-1605g BW .8, so just under 1700g.

That picture makes me want a Lenz all over again, especiacially with such a fancy self-thinking fork. Man, I need to find a new job, and a well-payed one, too!

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Reba

She sounds like a fine lady.... Some specs I've heard- just assuming modified for 29" application

New Motion Control Dampening
85/100/115mm travel options
Infinitely tunable Dual Air
U-Turn Air option on all models
32mm Easton EA 708 upper tubes
New shallow crown
New Poploc Adjustors.

·
This place needs an enema
17,448 Posts
Close

Motion Control Damping
80 or 100 (internally adjustable) travel options
Disc-only
Dual Air
32mm Easton upper tubes
Poploc Adjusters (not on mine--I hate a cluttered cockpit)
External rebound, compression, lockout, and floodgate (Motion Control) adjustments. All but rebound are accessible on-the-fly.

More on Monday...

MC

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
mikesee said:
Motion Control Damping
80 or 100 (internally adjustable) travel options
Disc-only
Dual Air
32mm Easton upper tubes
Poploc Adjusters (not on mine--I hate a cluttered cockpit)
External rebound, compression, lockout, and floodgate (Motion Control) adjustments. All but rebound are accessible on-the-fly.

More on Monday...

MC
I'm so stoked, this is truely exciting!!

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Anyone here had any luck...

...with RockShox stuff? My limited experience has been nothing but bad with both their forks and frame shocks. They work well for a while, but they get loose and leaky in a big hurry. Maybe the newer stuff is better, but unless I'm persuaded that it is, I won't be buying anymore RS stuff. Anyone had better luck?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
My newest RS fork is a Judy Race 2000 I converted to Total Air Englunds. Purely a race fork, ligth yet stiff enough, I don't think I ever opened it. Didn't abose it either over the 2 years I used it frequently.
SRAM set a total of 24 engineers to work, designing the new line of forks and dampers from scratch. This was also how they were able to create Motion Control that does what they need it to do, without needing patents from others for it. It's totally new, and looks really impressive.
The forks still resemble RS products visually, but feel in the hand closer to somehting like Manitou and Fox, or am I kidding myself?
I really, REALLY want to try one of those Reba's.
So, the verdict is, that Mike's fork need to be opened up to be set to 80/100 travel? That's ok, though, no room for more knobs, and the weight is kept in check this way.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.