Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alone tried one of these yet? SRAM is making some pretty bold claims about the performance. I have yet to read any reviews though. Disclaimer: I’m a big coil shock fan but I’d love to get the benefits of an air spring with sensitivity similar to a coil. Tough goal I know but, like I said, SRAM has been talking a big game.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Alone tried one of these yet? SRAM is making some pretty bold claims about the performance. I have yet to read any reviews though. Disclaimer: I'm a big coil shock fan but I'd love to get the benefits of an air spring with sensitivity similar to a coil. Tough goal I know but, like I said, SRAM has been talking a big game.
I'd look at the dvo topaz if that's what your after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,174 Posts
Super Deluxe Ultimate makes very few changes to the Super Deluxe.

I would think if you're looking for money well spent, the MegNeg air can combined with a custom tune on a used shock would go a lot further. You can get used Super Deluxe and Deluxe air shocks for super cheap, so shock+tune+MegNeg for under $300.

Spending any more than that pushes you up into the territory of far better out of the box shocks like the X2, CCDBAI, Mara, Topaz etc.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super Deluxe Ultimate makes very few changes to the Super Deluxe.

I would think if you're looking for money well spent, the MegNeg air can combined with a custom tune on a used shock would go a lot further. You can get used Super Deluxe and Deluxe air shocks for super cheap, so shock+tune+MegNeg for under $300.

Spending any more than that pushes you up into the territory of far better out of the box shocks like the X2, CCDBAI, Mara, Topaz etc.
Pheller - not doubting you. Just curious where you get your info? Have you owned a super deluxe shock? I have. Had one on my GG trail pistol. Was not a fan for many reasons, top of which is lack of compression adjuster beyond the 3 position lever.

What is your knowledge of the changes made to the new ultimate? Have you ridden one back to back with the previous super deluxe.

What qualifies any of the shocks listed as better? I've owned almost all of them and outside of the cane creek (which I'm also considering) I dont see any great advantages.

Unfortunately, because my shock size (trunnion 185x55) is so new, there really isnt much of a used market for me to shop from.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As far as I understand the SD Ultimate is the same as the 2019 SD RCT (the one with the LSC adjuster). Based on the press release it doesn't seem like they changed anything on the super deluxe like they did on the deluxe.

Rockshox made some changes from 2018 to 2019 but they did not seem to be major.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
3,174 Posts
The changes made to the Ultimate shocks were discussed in a thread on here a few months back. I also talked with two tune shops (DirtLabs and Avalanche) about the changes made from older shocks to the Ultimate shocks and both didn't think the changes were worth it for a consumer who already had an older shock in hand (and needed a tune anyway).

In my case, as a heavier rider, both thought the MegNeg might work better to improve the shock, when combined with a custom tune.

Having the additional adjustments is nice so long as you're within the spec range for the shock off the shelf, if you're not, you'll need a custom tune anyway.

The X2, Cane Creek stuff, Mara, Topaz, just all offer more "off the shelf" tuning options with more adjustments - but all those knobs are meaningless if the damper is optimized for 150lbs-220lbs and you're at one end or the other - or outside of that range.

I've ridden them all as well, except the X2 (and Topaz 2), and the X2 is the only one I hear heavier, coil-preferred riders say works anywhere near coil performance. That being said, it's also the newest, biggest air shock on the market, and those same guys said the CCDBA was the bees knees a few years back too. Me? I'm an air shock guy who's never been super picky (but I recently rode a coil that kinda blew me away.)

I'm interested to see how the Mara is, mostly because I rode the McLeod ages ago when it was first released and still remember how good it felt way back when.

·
3,174 Posts
If it came stock on a Megatower it likely did not have the MegNeg can.

I'm not sure if any manufacturers are speccing that option from the factory.

·
Registered
Banshee Titan, Ragley Bluepig
356 Posts
What is the rebound shim ID on a super deluxe ultimate? I am running lsr full close because otherwise it bucks me on bigger landings, but this makes it feel dead and wooden on small bumps. I would like to reduce lsr and add hsr. I am thinking add a rebound shim and run the lsr more open? The shock is on a nukeproof reactor and I haven't taken it apart to check the stack on nukeproof's custom tune, but is it simple as adding an extra shim on rebound?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.