Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Currently in the middle of a teardown and rebuild of my Super Deluxe RCT, and have also disassembled the compression assembly from the piggyback.
Now the curiosity having gotten the better of me and trying to learn more about shim tuning, I've toyed with the idea of changing around this stack. While I don't claim to know of a sure fire way to make noticeable differences, would love to hear peoples ideas or suggestions around possible improvements/tuning capabilities.

The shock is on my 2019 Remedy 9.9 and overall I feel the standard piston tune is nice, but give it more than a click or two on the LSC adjuster (which I'm assuming is influenced by this assembly) it leads the the bike feeling wooden. Would changing the shim arrangement give me a more useable range of adjuster from the shock?

Vorsprungs overview of this vs Monarch gives a good overview of how the lockout works, with the lever pushing a small poppet into the centre of the silver bolt restricting oil flow and giving a lock out effect. Turning the LSC dial screws in a ported adjuster into the silver piston/bolt which from what i can tell would limit oil flow to the shim stack? Top left to right shows what's on the left side of piston/bolt in the centre, while bottom left to right shows what's on right side.

Any ideas/comments of what could be done here would be appreciated! Even as a learning experience or resource for others, keen to learn more about how the assembly functions and its capabilities :thumbsup:

(NOTE: will get shim measurements shortly, as my callipers are not working currently. But they appear to be identical to what's found on the main piston assemblies)

Text Font Circle Number Silver

·
And I'm out.
506 Posts
The shock is on my 2019 Remedy 9.9 and overall I feel the standard piston tune is nice, but give it more than a click or two on the LSC adjuster (which I'm assuming is influenced by this assembly) it leads the the bike feeling wooden. Would changing the shim arrangement give me a more useable range of adjuster from the shock?

Vorsprungs overview of this vs Monarch gives a good overview of how the lockout works, with the lever pushing a small poppet into the centre of the silver bolt restricting oil flow and giving a lock out effect. Turning the LSC dial screws in a ported adjuster into the silver piston/bolt which from what i can tell would limit oil flow to the shim stack? Top left to right shows what's on the left side of piston/bolt in the centre, while bottom left to right shows what's on right side.
Changing the height of the piston and shim assembly in relation to where it is located relative to the rebound rod will help. So adding one or two of those tiny spacer shims (top row on the right) will push the rebound and compression assembly to a more open position. That won't affect the HSC which is controlled by the poppet.

Changing the shim _thickness_ by 0.002" or so on the largest shim only will make a noticeable difference. Moving them around will just make a mess of the way the bike rides in all of its different settings. Made that mistake, took weeks to get it back to enjoyable to ride and went through a lot of nitrogen and oil!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have made good experiences with the adjustment of the LSC shimstack, the damper responds much more responsive to small impacts.
What where the particular adjustments you made to the stack, or do you have any measurements of the shims you used in the process?

Ill soon be going back into the damper during a full shock service, and this is what im hoping to achieve with adjusting it (Less LSC on small impacts)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since I only have a hand test stand I have to rely on the try and error method.
The ring shim I leave out, do not understand for what this should be useful in this application.
As a first attempt I have only installed the 18 x 0.2, very good response with little adjustment effectiveness.
Next step was :
19 x 0.1
19 x 0.1
18 x 0.2
16 x 0.15
=> very good response with enough adjustability .The whole must of course harmonize with your HSC stack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.