Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
n00b
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience how accurate the springs are categorized for RockShox forks? More specifically, the XC30 TK, but experiences with other RS forks are welcome as well, to get a general feel about the stiffness.
I've read various comments stating that the springs are too stiff for the weight they're intended to be used with (and a few stating the exact opposite).

Following situation:
- Fully geared up, I weight around 66kg (~145 lbs).
- I currently have the medium spring (red) in my fork, designated for 160-180 lbs (72-81kg).
- My sag is only 10% while standing over the bike (in attack position) - without any preload whatsoever.
- On my last ride, it seems I used just short of 80% of the available travel (which with fork is only 80mm out of 100mm).
This included stairs and some practice jumps with a small kicker (really nothing too big, but I also won't ride anything higher on my trails - not with that fork anyway).

Based on these information, would you recommend a Soft (Yellow) spring, which is proposed for riders with 140-160 lbs (63kg), or an X-Soft (Silver) spring for riders below 140 lbs (63kg)? I'm just above that limit, but 10% sag seems a bit ridiculous, so this pushes me a bit towards the extra soft spring - on the other hand, I wouldn't want to bottom out all the time with the new spring either.

So if anybody has some experience with the RockShox springs, feel free to share. Ideally of course for the TK XC with a soft/x-soft spring, but as I've said, any experience is welcome.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Soft - I'm 58kg gear not included and I'm on a Soft spring on a Revelation. Same deal, I use like 80% of travel. I'm getting like 15-20% of sag... but man, coil is sooo plush!

If you are getting 80% with the medium, I would think that the Soft will get you close but not bottoming all the time. You should always have a little bit in reserve.

·
n00b
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. You actually weight about the same as me without gear and clothing, so that's a decent point of reference, even though you're riding a fork with 50% more travel.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I weigh 165lbs without gear, and I can only get about 10% of sag with a medium spring in my XC 30 TK. I considered getting a light spring, but decided to stay with the medium for now. I don't know how much travel I'm getting, need to look into that...

·
n00b
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Have received my yellow (soft) spring now -> much much better handling!
My sag has increased to around 18%, and the max travel used for the same track (and the same jumps) as before to around 90%. Overall I feel much more secure now while riding over bumpy terrain.

I do still wonder though if switching to a super soft spring would've been even more beneficial. However maybe there's some sort of running-in period, so I'll simply keep it for now.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good to hear. As I mentioned in the other thread based on my weight I should have used an extra firm spring but even with the firm one I can't get even 25% sag on my Domain and the ride really sucks so I ordered the medium one.

If you want my opinion 18% is really low even for XC use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts