Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 SID XX no longer locks out completely, as it used to. There is some play, about 1/2", when locked out. I bled the remote w/ no improvement. I'm assuming a rebuild is required and wanted to know if this problem will be fixed w/ a standard rebuild of the fork using the 32mm SID Service kit. TIA.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
No. Damper fluid needs to be brought up to the correct level.

mk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MK - Could the level change without an exterior leak? Do I simply add fluid to the correct level or is there likely something going on that would cause a leak or migration of fluid that I need to address. Thanks!
No. Damper fluid needs to be brought up to the correct level.

mk

·
Registered
984 Posts
You might be leaking fluid past the rebound damper in which case the rebuild kit would possibly fix the issue along with correct fluid level.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You don't ask those questions. Oil degrades in your fork just like in your car. Well, not JUST like it, but you get it. Just get the level back up to spec and let it work for you.

It's just maintenance, man. Happens out of the box sometimes on brand new forks. I rebuild a lot of brand new forks for people. I don't like it, but you just have to sometimes.

mk

Reactions: Cayenne_Pepa

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trailbildr - Can the damper fluid be changed or topped off without removing the lowers? Can I simply remove the remote/top of the right leg and drain the current fluid and replace w/ the correct amount of new fluid? TIA.

·
Class Clown
3,052 Posts
Might as well change the oil in lowers as well, give the fork a nice service and it will love you back. You can buy maxima fork oil pretty cheap.

Also i believe it should be normal for the fork to move slightly in lockout.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah, you can remove the damper and replace the oil with the correct volume. That's the oh-fee-shul right way to do it. If your fork moves slightly in lockout, add 3-5cc more damper fluid. RockShox will tell you that it 'may' move a bit, and some dampers do, but you can usually get rid of that 1-3mm of travel before lockout with a few cc of oil.

That's like Fox telling you that getting 115mm of travel out of a 120mm travel fork is 'within tolerance'.

mk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My '08 Reba has always had about 1cm of play when locked out (which IS normal). I thought most Rockshox did. Are you sure the SID didn't? I think most ppl report lockout NOT working at all when oil level is low. Not just having a bit of squish.

Either way, if you have >50 hrs on that fork, might as well do a full service. Most RS forks are pretty easy to maintain after the first time.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I mostly see lockouts that work too deep in the stroke as an indicator of low oil level in the damper side. When the damper hits the oil during compression and the lockout is on, it hits a wall. I notice it when installing dampers into forks with correct oil volumes with the lockout on. You have to push past the lockout to engage the threads or just turn the lockout off.

So, again, while many people (and RockShox) say that the play is 'normal', they also say that their fluid levels are +/- 3-5cc, so you have some room to alter the feel of the lockout. Sometimes it works. Actually, most times it works.

mk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts