Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been buying parts for an xc build (no frame decision yet) and picked up a new 2014 SID RCT3 but now having second thoughts due to my 210lb wt. The stanchions are 32mm but the fork is much lighter than the F120 Fox. I have read great reviews about the new SID forks but nothing pertaining to suitability for a heavier xc rider.

Any riders, especially heavier, having noticeable flex issues with the newer SID's?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am ~190 (depends on what time of year..could be 200lb) and my 2014 SID World Cup is plenty stiff for an XC fork. It's my first RockShox fork in 4 years and i've been very impressed..Between the SID's were 7 32mm Fox forks (RL, RLC, Talas FIT, RLC FIT x2, CTD FIT x2)..There is no noticeable difference between the two brands. They are plenty stiff for 32mm w/the 15qr setup.

That being said..If you ride it and don't like it..I'll happily send you my '13 Float 100 CTD and take the SID off your hands!

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Not even so. Since Rock Shox went with 32mm stanchions - their forks are not only lighter....but stiffer than any comparable Fox F100 RLx product. Also, the SID has a much longer service interval than Fox.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - that's what I was hoping to hear. If it is on par with the F series forks great! The new CTD internals did not impress so looking forward to my first RS.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think you'll like it. RockShox stuff has been top notch in my experience, and their customer service is awesome should you have a problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I went from running Fox on my previous bikes to getting and using the 2014 Sid rct3 on my Tallboy that I built up. I am 200lbs geared up and it's been a great fork. I did a week in Moab recently blasting some technical downhill sections and I was very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I run the 2014 SID XX and it's been rock solid and I'm 200lbs give or take geared up. I have the RCT3 dampner but haven't dropped it in yet since the XX has been working for me.

It's Our Turn!
Team RWB Colorado Springs
www.TeamRWB.org

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 2013 SID RTC3 in QR. It definatley has some flex to it under big braking loads but other than that it feels great. My fork weighs in at 1545g so I don't expect it to be super stiff when it is also feather light. I would imagine the WC version with carbon steerer and crown would be significantly stiffer.

·
Trail Ninja
6,167 Posts
I thought my SID wasn't very stiff, but beats my old Reba from 07 by a lot. Don't notice a whole lot of difference between a '10 Fox 32 FIT RLC and SID. I ride the same stuff on both and don't think either has an edge. I did do a few trails faster DH on the Fox (not back to back, but on the Fox a year before), but I have a feeling that had more to do with tire choice than the fork. On trails I'm familiar with, they're both similarly capable, but the Fox's small bump sensitivity was horrible in comparison. I hear that the carbon CSU is actually flexier than alloy ones, but I don't think you have that model.

I do notice a difference between wheels and the feeling of flex. With CK hubs + Carbon rims, I expect rock solid stiffness, but I actually feel the fork wind-up more, leading me to over-correct with steering input when I don't get the response I expect. With a lightweight vuelta wheel from my old BD bike, it feels even flexier, but I expect it more and smooth out my inputs a bit and don't enter techy stuff so hot. About to replace it with a Tower Pro with 15QR (from reg QR), to see how things go. I like the control of the Fox at speed over the bump erasing abilities of the SID... sometimes feels like I'm running low on air with the SID, like an extension of my tire's suspension ability. Hard to gauge the feeling of stiffness by feel without taking into consideration all these other factors. If you measure by how hard you can attack the trail on a SID, compared to other forks, I'd say it is lacking, demanding more from the rider to be acquainted with specific nuances. I got used to it, but just not totally satisfied and wanting to try something else to see if I'm missing out, perhaps finding something to better suit me, my trails, and riding style.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the detail. I will run King or Hadley hubs with through axles and most likely Nox rims so the added flex beyond the fork should be minimal. That said, the xc trails we ride can have long sections of rubble, square edge rock, and the occasional bolder to navigate that will test the rigidity of a fork.

Due to the replies, I have more confidence that the SID warrants a try but would not be too surprised if I wind up looking into reducing a Pike to 120mm to better match the stiffness of a carbon frame and wheels. Hopefully, the SID will be enough.

·
Meat Clever
678 Posts
I have been running a 2014 on a Ripley for 8 months. It is not flexy - it is stiff. it is a great light-weight fork.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That said, the xc trails we ride can have long sections of rubble, square edge rock, and the occasional bolder to navigate that will test the rigidity of a fork.
We have similar conditions here on the Front Range, while mine is only 100mm, I purposely sought out the rough terrain to see if I made the right choice. So far I have, I'm on the fence about swapping to 120mm and the RCT3 dampner. My Trek Stache is geo'd for the 120mm, but the 100mm has been amazing so far(so I basically have a SuperFly now). It's by far the best fork I've ridden to date for my style of riding.

It's Our Turn!
Team RWB Colorado Springs
www.TeamRWB.org

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Due to the replies, I have more confidence that the SID warrants a try but would not be too surprised if I wind up looking into reducing a Pike to 120mm to better match the stiffness of a carbon frame and wheels. Hopefully, the SID will be enough.
The Pike is way beefier, I have both on diff bikes, the damping is also smoother on the Pike. To me, the Pike would be overkill on a carbon XC style bike tho, the Sid is plenty stiff. Wish the damping on the Sid was as nice as the Pike tho, I thought the new Sids got the Charger damper like the Pike??

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been running the REBA for years and my older 29er felt flexy. Just upgraded last year to newer REBA. The difference in the fork flex was going from a QR to a through Axle. The through Axle took away the flex. I also run KC with carbon rims, no problems.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
Running a 2013 Sid/Reba combo (Reba uppers/dampers, SID QR15 lowers--which I've read are the same as Reba lowers) I hover around 210 with pack, and its plenty stiff for me. I'm also running Kings on Nox rims-- love, love, love that combo. As others have said, the real difference maker for me has been the thru axle. I ran the fork before with a QR on the King/Noxs, and thought that was pretty good, but upgrading the fork to QR15 has been a great thing; more point and shoot; over wet roots and rocks is where I've noticed the biggest difference.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's been my experience with the 15QR as well. Been riding an older bike with the 9mm QR recently and it feels like it's all over the place in comparison.

Good to hear you are happy with the Nox rims, with a 23mm inner width and the thought that has gone into the carbon layup they are looking good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts