Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a teardown on my 06 SID, was wondering if a real world socket exists for removing the dual air piston through the bottom of the uppers. looks like some sort of hollow internal socket would work, and i really don't feel like sourcing the $30+ "official" RS tool. any ideas?

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
If you are totally disassembling the left leg you can get away with pushing the shaft up out of the negative air chamber and using the head of a metric bolt to loosen and remove the nut. Remember it is reverse threaded though, so righty loosey.

Not the best way to do it, but works in a pinch. The bolt hex will need to be 15mm. Use two nuts on the threaded bit, jammed together, as a wrenching surface so you have some way to turn the 'tool' other than vice grips.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exactly the tip i was looking for. should i be worried about damaging the piston by pushing it past the internal threads in the uppers? maybe i'll load up the threads with slick honey before i push the piston past.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.