Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are there any reviews of the Rush damper on the OEM Sid? Is it an updated motion control or downgraded Charger?
I just took delivery of a 2022 Kona Hei Hei aluminum model a couple weeks ago. It actually arrived about 3 month earlier than expected (Great!!). I wasn't sure if it was going to come spec'd with a Rockshox Sid Select w/ the original (V1) Charger RL damper or the new Sid Base w/ the Rush damper. In the product photos from Kona's website it shows both forks on the bike. Even calling Kona directly they didn't know which fork would be delivered. My new Hei Hei came with the lower level Sid Base/Rush damper on the front (Not so Great). Cross country riding is still +2 months away as we have 2 feet of snow and counting here in Ontario Canada, but I can let you know what I think come spring. Its hard to make much of a conclusion bouncing the suspension in the basement or riding around the parking lot at the bike shop I picked up from.

I think this Sid (bse = base?) is the only fork in the Rockshox line with this new damper for 2022.

I can't find any info on the internals of the damper. It does not have any compression dampening adjustment from the top dial, its either open or completely locked out. Time will tell if its any good, but at least you have the option to upgrade the damper to the charger models if you need more performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. That’s the bike I was thinking of getting. But I’m old school and would like to try before i buy. Which means it will be years before shops have stock that isn’t already sold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That will make it difficult for sure. I don't know if you will be able to buy a decent bike these days off the shop floor. The owner of the shop I bought from told me they also had a sized medium that was on order, but it was delayed. Both my L bike and the M were supposed to be here at the start of April. Mine showed up early and the M is delayed until July.....

...2023!!!!! ridiculous times we live in. They said they will end up just cancelling that order.

Happy hunting for a new ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If anyone finds it useful, I've ridden my 2022 Kona Hei Hei Al a half dozen times and have some early ideas on its fork. The Sid base with this new rush damper is a very simple fork, with only an open/locked out position and a rebound adjustment. I believe it's only available on OEM builds and the only other bike I've seen spec it is the 2022 Trek top fuel 8.

The latest version of the Debonair spring is really nice and makes the fork very supple while supportive. It resists diving with hard braking and its difficult to bottom out, even when ridden off +60 cm drops. Its the best performing fork I've personally owned out of a RockShox Recon RL, 35 gold and Revelation RC (with the last one being the closest). Comparing the 120mm Sid to the 150mm Revelation the Sid has the edge in small bump absorption where the longer travel Revelation takes big hits better. All in I'm pleasantly surprised by how well this fork performs so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone looking for some intel on the new rush damper might want to see this video where a Trek TopFuel with that SID base fork won bike of the year. The author at Bike Radar seems to think it works alright.

The print version of the Trek review is here as well.

Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.