Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is this Rockshox Revelation on my Trance so freaking stiff??

I guess it may be partly my own fault as I'm pretty big 6'3" 265~lbs so the fork has 95~psi now (just under 30% sag) not sure if that is robbing it of all hope of plushness.. The fork did have 100~ psi before and it was killing me so I back off the psi a bit...

but are these just stiff forks or am I doing something wrong? (all the way open / fastest rebound just a **** show on bumps ..

thoughts?

Attachments

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
Why is this Rockshox Revelation on my Trance so freaking stiff??

I guess it may be partly my own fault as I'm pretty big 6'3" 265~lbs so the fork has 95~psi now (just under 30% sag) not sure if that is robbing it of all hope of plushness.. The fork did have 100~ psi before and it was killing me so I back off the psi a bit...

but are these just stiff forks or am I doing something wrong? (all the way open / fastest rebound just a **** show on bumps ..

thoughts?
Your image doesn't work. What year fork, which spring, which damper?

Under what circumstances is it too stiff? Does it 'stick' if you slowly lean on the bars?

95psi and open rebound is definitely wrong.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your image doesn't work. What year fork, which spring, which damper?

Under what circumstances is it too stiff? Does it 'stick' if you slowly lean on the bars?

95psi and open rebound is definitely wrong.
sorry tried fixing image .. anyways the bike is a 2018 Trance Advanced 2 so the Revelation is also a 2018 model with 150mm of travel

according to giant it is

RockShox Revelation RC Solo-Air, Boost, Maxle Stealth, OverDrive, 150mm travel
the fork doesn't seem "sticky" it is just hard as heck to get it to compress.. even at my size weight if I try to cycle the fork while standing over it it seems to resist compressing quite a bit..

to me it always seems to stiff, I feel like it is trying to shake my arms over over any off road terrain atm.

·
mbtr member
6,494 Posts
sorry tried fixing image .. anyways the bike is a 2018 Trance Advanced 2 so the Revelation is also a 2018 model with 150mm of travel

according to giant it is

the fork doesn't seem "sticky" it is just hard as heck to get it to compress.. even at my size weight if I try to cycle the fork while standing over it it seems to resist compressing quite a bit..

to me it always seems to stiff, I feel like it is trying to shake my arms over over any off road terrain atm.
I have not personally worked with/used that iteration of the rev, but here are some thoughts in order of likeliness-

-at your size the rebound should not be open. You want it to be about as fast as you can pull your hands up after smashing the fork down.

-the rev can suffer from the same 'pressurized lowers' problem that the pike can. Jamming a tiny zip tie past the dust seals might do the trick.

-this is a somewhat nasty damper. It has to underperform the pike, no small achievement.

-if the bike represents a return to riding after a long hiatus your 'mountain biking muscles' may have atrophied.

-your shock pump might be wackadoodle.

-i've seen RS forks come with inadequately lubed air springs. It might help to remove the valve core and add ~1cc of 15w oil.

-it might just be time to swap the bath oil.

I suppose the most obvious thing to do is check its function. Let out all the air from the spring. It should sink into its travel a bit, be smooth, and then compress to full travel without hitting a 'lockout' beforehand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts