Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new to this form and mountain biking and even tho I’ve had a few injuries already lol I am loving it.

i bought a San Quentin 1 and the forks that came with it were pretty rubbish so i raised some cash and bought a set of 2nd hand rockshox revelations 2018, I’m totally new to these forks so wanted to ask if anyone could help with me just doing a few checks to make sure they are all working as they should?

i have noticed one issue that concerns me tho..
i noticed a little damp area with oil underneath the fork where the rebound adjustment knob is? I’ve wiped it clean now and it hasn’t come back as bad as it was but when I remove the knob on the hex stem that’s attached to it right at the end is a little wet with oil, is that normal?

im up for giving them a complete service myself but if there’s no need atm I’d rather just enjoy riding with them for a while first.

the guy said they were in excellent condition and hardly used and although they look like they’ve been hardly used that oil thing worried me a bit.

sorry for the long message hopefully someone with experience can share with me a for things.

thanks

·
Registered
478 Posts
Rockshox suspension forks have plastic crush-washers under each lower-leg.
My guess is the damper side is leaking because the washer needs to be replaced, or the retaining nut may have worked it's way loose.

The following video is of a basic lower-leg service, which should be performed every 50hrs of use.

Since this is a new fork to you, it would be a great time to perform this service.

I wouldn't ride the fork until you got this leak straightened out.

HTH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate that, I’ll definitely do a lower leg service I just hope oil is coming through from the top some how as the oil seems to be coming from inside the red adjustment piece, are there any things I can do just to check the shock is working as it should?

·
Registered
478 Posts
You could go through a basic setup, like in the following video.

The basic setup process is only the starting point on a new fork.
Trail time would be necessary for further tweaks, but can wait until after you've addressed the leak (and verified everything is working correctly).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Also,
If your uncomfortable with any service on your bike, don't forget you can also get support from your local bike shop.
Having a good relationship with your local shop is always a good thing :)

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
A lower leg service is the most important thing to do. Doing those regularly is what stops your fork wearing out. I wouldn't worry about the oil you've found, a small amount of weeping there is not a big worry. A little nip of the bolt might stop it but you're going to take it of to service the thing anyway.

You are supposed to replace the crush washers every time you take the bolt off but it's not necessary. You can reuse the same one a few times. As long as it doesn't leak you're good.

If the lockout works and you can feel the other adjustments making a difference the damper is almost certainly working fine. By the way, when you lock the fork there is still about 10mm or so of movement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate your help, I’ll order a lower end service kit now and get that done next week,
The oil tho isn’t weeping around the rebound adjustment bolt it’s actually coming from up inside it as the hex stem on the adjustment knob is a little wet with oil when I remove it not sure if that’s normal?

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
It can be. I've certainly seen it before, never worried about it. You're going to get small amounts of oil getting out here and there. If the functionality of the fork sufferers you have a problem. If you don't service the lowers regularly your bushings and stanchions will wear.

The lower service kit will include lots of bits but only use what you need to. For example, the wiper seals. If the old ones are intact and supple just clean and reuse them. I reuse crush washers until they stop sealing, which is usually a good few times.

NB: Take note of the torque settings for those bottom leg bolts. They don't get cranked up super tight and it's easy to do damage if you overdo it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Just a side note... since you have a 2018 version of the Revelation... you can upgrade to RockShox's Charger 2 damper. That makes the Revelation a Pike. Everything else is the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again guys, I will not worry then about that little weep, like you said if there working ok then maybe I should just ride.

I have looked into the charger 2 upgrade and I think I’d definitely like to do it, I’ll have a look about see what prices I can find it for.

Are you meant to keep a check on the oil levels at all? How easy is it just to check the oil level? Can I just unscrew the top cap and take a look?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.