Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I done a basic service on both the bottom and upper legs. During this process I also changed sanctions for better ones.

Put new seals on e.c.t put added grease where needed, put circlips back and pulled rods out fully. Pushed the damper back in after putting 134mm of 5w oil in but as it got tighter I could hear air leaking. I took the damper back out and noticed I could push the bottom of the damper where it opens up to let oil in, and it would push the top of where the cap fits to up. The leak is down the edge (see image) This was not doing this before the survice. Now when all fully put together when I compress the forks hear the squeal of air and see the cap move up a little as it does this?

Any idear what is up?

Thanks,
Dan

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Take the thing apart and you'll see the inner o-ring.
  • pull the poppet off the bottom of the damper, it's splined and presses into a hollow shaft.
  • carefully depress the two plastic tabs that hold the damper foot onto the body and unclip the foot from the body.
  • push the damper shaft downwards from the top.
That's it. You've taken it apart.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take the thing apart and you'll see the inner o-ring.
  • pull the poppet off the bottom of the damper, it's splined and presses into a hollow shaft.
  • carefully depress the two plastic tabs that hold the damper foot onto the body and unclip the foot from the body.
  • push the damper shaft downwards from the top.
That's it. You've taken it apart.
Hi

Just an update, the damper shaft does not budge, its fixed in place, cant see anyway of removing it other than removing the split pins, even then that would not remove the part needed.

Thanks,
Dan

· Registered
117 Posts
Those instructions are almost correct. But not quite.

You don't remove the split pin, it won't get you any closer to disassembling the damper.

You have to unscrew the damper topcap from the body before removing the shaft. It's reverse threaded, unscrew right to loosen. Wear gloves and it will come apart easily.

There's a detent ball and spring in place, be careful not to lose it when you pull the shaft from the top cap.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those instructions are almost correct. But not quite.

You don't remove the split pin, it won't get you any closer to disassembling the damper.

You have to unscrew the damper topcap from the body before removing the shaft. It's reverse threaded, unscrew right to loosen. Wear gloves and it will come apart easily.

There's a detent ball and spring in place, be careful not to lose it when you pull the shaft from the top cap.
Thank you, Il give that a go today. Once I have this apart where do you source the O ring which I assume will be the issue of leaking?

Dan

· Registered
117 Posts
Thank you, Il give that a go today. Once I have this apart where do you source the O ring which I assume will be the issue of leaking?

Dan
It's not an o-ring - it's a Y-shaped seal that comes in a service kit.

But in a pinch you can measure it and replace it with a hardware store o-ring; that seal does not experience excessive pressure but it degrades with age.

· Registered
1,073 Posts

Dan
I have a spare RLT damper in a drawer. I'll pull it apart and post pictures this evening. Disassembly takes a minute or two. Wear proper gloves when you unscrew the top cap, it has sharp edges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.