Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, RockShox Recon RL Air does not normally accommodate tokens but does anybody have any knowledge or own experience of a DIY solution?

I can easily imagine making something that would fit the air spring, stay in place and displace some air, which is what tokens do. I'm wondering though - could that damage the fork? For example, blow the seals (due to higher pressure?), or come in contact with a moving part. Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does the Recon have 32 mm aluminium stanchions? You could buy one of the air caps that takes the tokens.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/co...bluto-argyle-rct-air-top-cap-black-32mm-tubes

Have you checked the current air cap to see if it can or cant take tokens, maybe it already has one that can accommodate them.
I think should work, if recon is gold version. Gold version has aluminum stanchions, and silver has steel, different internal diameter. But I am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the Recon have 32 mm aluminium stanchions? You could buy one of the air caps that takes the tokens.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/co...bluto-argyle-rct-air-top-cap-black-32mm-tubes

Have you checked the current air cap to see if it can or cant take tokens, maybe it already has one that can accommodate them.
Mine has 32mm steel stanchions. Haven't checked under the cap yet but I bet there's no thread there. Someone suggested trying fitting a Reba cap since apparently there's some overlap between Recon RL and Reba (the crown?). But there seems to be a significant enough difference in design between aluminum and steel stanchions which may disallow that. Anyway, I'm actually more interested if the only reason Recon RL doesn't take tokens is that there's no thread. Or, is it that it's Air Spring would suffer damage due to a changed compression curve. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you're looking for a very DIY solution, I recently saw that someone had put a rubber bouncy ball in their air chamber to reduce the volume. Seems like a reasonable option if you just want to experiment. It should fit easily, and it's soft enough that it shouldn't do any damage or drive you nuts rattling around. Not sure if I'd leave it in there long term in case the repeated impacts would cause premature failure of something, but it has the advantage of being cheap. :)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
If it's compressible, it will decrease in volume under fork pressure and more-so as the pressure ramps up during fork compression. That's how that Neopos spacer works, but with a specific compressibility to achieve their stated effect. So, something compressible can work provide it's not too compressible and it's big enough.

A big dollop of grease as Mr Pig suggests is a standard method, but with solo air type air springs like on this fork it can eventually work its way into the negative chamber.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used a chunk of 3/8 beer air hose line when I had a recon. It fit tight up into the groove on the backside of the cap, and then I added a layer of Silicon tubing over that. I made it as long as it could go before it would touch the bottom on full compression, and then cut back from there to adjust. It never came unstuck for the yearish I had that bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used a chunk of 3/8 beer air hose line when I had a recon. It fit tight up into the groove on the backside of the cap, and then I added a layer of Silicon tubing over that. I made it as long as it could go before it would touch the bottom on full compression, and then cut back from there to adjust. It never came unstuck for the yearish I had that bike.
This is the information I needed - you bodged a token for a Recon and it didn't lead to any (apparent) damage for a year. Cheers!

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.