Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fork was bottoming out (not returning) without losing air so I decided to service it. After following the RockShox manuals and youtube videos I was able to change all the seals and suspension oils.

The suspension seems to work fine now but the lockout won't engage. I have the same travel and feel with or without it on.

I re-opened the damper, drained the oil and it opens the gap as it should. It seems like I drained a little less oil (15 ml less) out of it than I've put in but it's possible that not all drained out so I added it back and 15 ml extra just in case it had a low oil problem.

The seals I used were from a recon gold service kit and they were all the same size as the ones I removed. Even if it drains into the lowers, shouldn't it take longer for that to happen than just a few pumps on the suspension?

Not sure what else to check. If I have to replace the seal that causes drain into the lowers, should I use a specific size other than what came with it and with the recon gold service kit?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts

·
Class Clown
3,048 Posts
Like my brotha from anotha motha says just add a few ml at a time till u get a lockout and if u have an adjustable floodgate make sure its set appropriately

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I added a few ml to the point where almost half of the damper is now submerged but still no lockout.

If I release the air I can push it all the way.

I'm also running about 100 psi at 90% body weight. Could that pressure be a problem?

I remember a while ago when I got the bike, the lockout wouldn't give me more than an inch or 2 of travel but now that doesn't seem to be the case.

The floodgate looks good. On open I can see a small slit and on close that slit goes away.

Should I remove some of the oil I added and go back to the recommended 118?

·
Class Clown
3,048 Posts
Yeah you don't want to be overfilling. So changing floodgate has no effect, Did you inspect the damper to see if the port is closing when in lockout

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, when in lockout, it's covering the gap. I took off the steel piece to see if there was anything wrong with it, and the spring behind the floodgates. They seem fine.

The only thing I can think of right now is that it might be the bottom seal of the damper allowing oil to shoot up into the damper on the sides. Is that possible?

I did replace that seal but to me it feels like the damper slides into the top of the tube too easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts