Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 140mm travel race reba that has a leaking problem... The top chamber air leaks to the bottom chamber. accord to the manual for trouble shooting

"AIR LOSS
• Inspect air piston o-rings. Replace if necessary.
• To avoid air loss, remove Dual Air top cap and check oil level inside air chamber, every 25 to 50 riding hours. If there is little or no
oil on top of air piston o-ring, pour 3 to 5cc RockShox 15wt suspension oil into air spring chamber. Oil will keep air seal
lubricated.
• Inspect schrader valve assembly. Replace if damaged or malfunctioning. Clean if clogged."

I read the manual and it says to check the oil level on the forks, but the manual never mention how to check and step by step. But it does show how to rebuild it, does anyone know where i kinda find this information...

Also do most local bike store sell suspension oil?

thanks john

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
You get suspension oil in motorbike shops or online. Only few bike shops stock suspension oil.

Check www.sram.com (go rockshox and technical manuals) for a step by step description on how to service the fork. If it sounds complex... rather give it to a shop than damage the fork. Most shops offer fork service at a fixed price, usually even including oil and normal replacement parts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply...

would motor oil work?

i read the rebuild manual already and kinda have an idea how to take the fork apart... i just want to know the process of checking the oil in the fork...

All I need to know is how to measure and know how much oil i have inside the upper air chamber to help it seal the air from leaking to the bottom chamber...kinda like, do you deep something in it and see how much oil i have, things like that... The manual mentioned to put 3cc to 5cc on the top champer... how would i know if i have 2cc already in it, thats the kinda step i want to know.. I guess ill just dump everything out and put a new one in...

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
How much air are you loosing and over what time frame? If its overnight, then have your LBS send it back to SRAM for warranty. Rock Shox has a 2 year warranty on their products from date of purchase.

Do not use motor oil. You need suspension fork oil. Check in the suspension forum (do a search) for a compatible suspension fork oil that will work with the Reba. You do not necessarily have to use the SRAM stuff, just something with the same properties.

To measure how much oil you have in the fork, you will need a measuring device of some type. I picked up a measuring glass from a kitchen store that gives me a reading in mL (millileters) which is the same as CC's. Then you have to pour the fluid out of the fork into the measuring glass/cup/whatever. Then add or subtract as needed.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I would discard the old oil. It does get dirty etc over time anyway.

Don't use motor oil. I am trying to say: Go to a motorbike shop and buy suspension oil (fluid) there. The suspension oil used in bicycle forks and motorbike forks is the same. However: you need to lookup the specs for the oil (fluid) on the Rockshox site. There are different density/weight levels. You want to buy the right one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks frdfadc.... ill get just my fork rebuild... since i dont have any receipt of the bike purchase.. I bought it used...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts