Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I've been out of the game for a bit. Looking to replace my 1st Gen RS Reba SL with something newer. Looking at the RS Team Dual Air with Maxel or Fox 32 F29.

Will go on Titus Racer-X and used for endurance races and rides.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,589 Posts
Out of the box - Reba. I have both and both have been tuned and I still slightly prefer the Reba. I also think the seals are better on the Reba and it doesn't have that silly 15mm standard. But, the Fox is so close in performance that selling it and buying a Reba would be stupid on my part. I have been told by a person in the know that the Rock Shox air suspension is a superior design FWIW.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I use two of the Rebas and they have been good...decent small-bump compliance and stiff with the 20mm. I also run one on a Titus RX29er. I also have a F29 (15mm) but it is still new/unused so have no opinion there. However, all my Fox shocks in the past have been excellent. I think they were just a bit smoother in action than my Revelation and Pike. I sort of want to use the Fox now so that gets my vote. :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Half dozen of one/six of the other. That said value wise I would say that the bottom of the line Reba is a better value. Fox's are outstanding as well but if a Reba SL is 400+ and a Fox F29 is 700+ there's 300 or so to play with after buying the Reba.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
f29 hands down. there is a small break in period and then it rocks over the reba.

better control, speed compliance and rebound. the feel can be set from Cadillac to stiff jump mode.

more $, but far worth it. the front fork does most of the work in smoothing out the bumps in most any situation even on a dually. get the best or go rigid..

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have an older Reba, an F29 and spent a week riding a Reba 120 w/ Maxle. Personally I prefer the Reba. I can't get the compression on the Fox feeling the way I like it no matter what I do w/ the compression adjustment. The Reba w/ Maxle is easily the best riding fork I've used.

Plus the Fox makes a nasty slurping noise on rebound. I hate noisy forks.

·
MTBing Ninja Assassin
178 Posts
My Fox F29 32 is the nuts! I rode both the F29 32 and a Reba and found the Fox to be far superior in all aspects. Not to mention the the 15mm thru axle. I would never buy, nor recommend a fork without that. :thumbsup:

DrDon said:
Out of the box - Reba. I have both and both have been tuned and I still slightly prefer the Reba. I also think the seals are better on the Reba and it doesn't have that silly 15mm standard. But, the Fox is so close in performance that selling it and buying a Reba would be stupid on my part. I have been told by a person in the know that the Rock Shox air suspension is a superior design FWIW.
:confused: What type of riding do you do? Salt flats? LMAO Not one bike store or person that I've talked to have said to not get the 15mm thru. They said that is the down fall of all the others at the moment. It stops the lower fork slop by a land slide compared to those flimsey little things they call axles on other forks. Take a look into serious dirt biking and motorcrossing and see why Fox adapted the 15mm....

·
Registered
332 Posts
OneSick29ER said:
:confused: What type of riding do you do? Salt flats? LMAO Not one bike store or person that I've talked to have said to not get the 15mm thru. They said that is the down fall of all the others at the moment. It stops the lower fork slop by a land slide compared to those flimsey little things they call axles on other forks. Take a look into serious dirt biking and motorcrossing and see why Fox adapted the 15mm....
you seem to be missing the point that the reba has a 20mm thru axle, and it's just as good if not better than fox's thru axle.

I have a 2009 reba team 120mm with 20mm thru axle and it is awesome. The dual air makes the fork very tunable, the multiple compression settings can be changed on the fly for different feels at different times, and the fork is completely stiff and goes where I point it. I haven't used the fox so I can't make a comparison, but I have no issues with my reba team and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

·
MTBing Ninja Assassin
178 Posts
anavrinIV said:
you seem to be missing the point that the reba has a 20mm thru axle, and it's just as good if not better than fox's thru axle.

I have a 2009 reba team 120mm with 20mm thru axle and it is awesome. The dual air makes the fork very tunable, the multiple compression settings can be changed on the fly for different feels at different times, and the fork is completely stiff and goes where I point it. I haven't used the fox so I can't make a comparison, but I have no issues with my reba team and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
OK. Sweet. Then it's a really hard call. I like the response and feel of the fox a little more as well. I didn't ride a team Reba though. 20mm is the best. It's the only option that would make the FOX better IMHO. not saying the 15mm is insufficient, just that 20mm is the optimum strength to stop the slop. I didn't know that was available yet, as not one bike at any of the 8 shops I went to had that on it. Now I do. :madman:

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
I've owned both. I've liked both.

The 20mm maxle was great, the 15mmQR is also nice. The 20mm maxle would get the nod.

Both forks were stiff, both can be set up nicely if you spend some time.

The deal breaker for me was that I went through 2 creaky crowns on 2009 Reba's (both warranteed by Rock Shox). Besides the fact my local shops leave something to be desired on Sram warranties (sure wish sram would deal consumer direct), it's just stunk to be down a fork for a couple weeks.

On the flip side my Fox has been creaky crown free now for over 800 miles.

Otherwise, both ride great, and I even preferred the 20mm maxle just a tad bit more.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Reba.

The best part about a Reba - they are very easy to work on for oil changes, seal changes, adjusting of fork height.

Lots on info on the forums explaining how to do everything.

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,590 Posts
Fox by far is better and totally worth the money. Your 2005 Reba will feel better than the newer RS stuff, the quality has gone downhill again. Fox is still #1.

The feel of the fork is just so much more refined and I totally second what oilcanracer said above.

QR, 15 or 20mm - it doesn't matter since the QR version is plenty stiff.

·
muscogeemasher
4 Posts
Fox Crowns Creak Too

I would not buy a Fox based on crown durability. I have had a F120 that the crown has now started creaking on for the THIRD time in three years. I am cross country rider in Georgia, so the creaking is not from any sort of abuse (e.g., I am not out in Colorado bombing down really steep, rocky trails). The guys at Fox are total jerks when you call them. As soon as the Reba comes in a 15mm axle version in 2012 I am selling Fox and trying Reba (locked into 15mm with two wheel sets). BTW, I have had two retailers tell me that SRAM is the best out there in terms of standing behind their product if something happens. Fox will not warranty my crown this time because non-stock dust wipers have been installed (because the stock seals started leaking 3 months after the last crown replacement . . .)

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
muscogeemasher said:
I would not buy a Fox based on crown durability. I have had a F120 that the crown has now started creaking on for the THIRD time in three years. I am cross country rider in Georgia, so the creaking is not from any sort of abuse (e.g., I am not out in Colorado bombing down really steep, rocky trails). The guys at Fox are total jerks when you call them. As soon as the Reba comes in a 15mm axle version in 2012 I am selling Fox and trying Reba (locked into 15mm with two wheel sets). BTW, I have had two retailers tell me that SRAM is the best out there in terms of standing behind their product if something happens. Fox will not warranty my crown this time because non-stock dust wipers have been installed (because the stock seals started leaking 3 months after the last crown replacement . . .)
wow. very, very similar experience for me. i have had three crown/stanchion junction issues in 2 years. fox replaced the crown each time and even did so when one of the forks was painted (aftermarket paint job by spectrum in colorado), so i cannot complain about customer service. nevertheless, it's been a real pain in the arse. my f29 is creaking again, and while it's not a real functional problem, the noise is annoying at best and eventually, it will fail (hopefully not catastrophically). the reason for the creaking crown, we surmise, is a poor bonding process and the additional load exerted on a 29er fork (i.e. looooong stantchions = lots of leverage) but this doesn't seem to be a problem with rock shox. i have found the performance of my fox forks (all with 15mm ta) to be excellent, especially after 10 hours or so of break in, though it's true the seals go pretty quickly. either way, my next fork will be a reba and i'm not looking back.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
i have a 2010 Reba Team 100mm on my Air 9.... love it... super plus, with lots of adjustability... dual air is nice for tuning... and the compression adjustment is nice... plus much cheaper than a Fox... i don't recall the exact price, but i found it for a little over $500 brand new last year if i recall correctly...

definitely recommend the Reba... I went with the Team instead of the XX since i'm not a huge fan of remotes, at least not how RS was doing it... either locked or unlocked, with gate adjust.... but no separate compression adjust...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts