Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a spare bike I have a 2003 psylo fork with either the heavy(blue) or extra heavy (black) spring. I can't remember which one. The rebound has always been too quick and the rebound knob has little to no effect. I replaced the damper fluid with Spectro 10wt fork oil (32.0 cSt @ 40C). This had little to now effect on the rebound speed. It is still too fast. COuld I have not added enough oil? What else could be the problem?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
One common problem with older RS forks is, the bolt that secures the lower can jam the rebound adjuster. Try loosening the bolt a turn or so, then see if the rebound will turn freely.

I assume since it's an XC model, it's not the sealed PURE damper? Did you just fill the damper leg by volume?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fsrxc said:
One common problem with older RS forks is, the bolt that secures the lower can jam the rebound adjuster. Try loosening the bolt a turn or so, then see if the rebound will turn freely.

I assume since it's an XC model, it's not the sealed PURE damper? Did you just fill the damper leg by volume?
I will try that tonight. Thanks.

Yes, I just filled the damper leg by volume using a measuring cup. Not the most accurate of methods....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried loosening the the bolt that secures the lower leg at the rebouind adjuster a turn and nothing happened. Then I added about 10 more cc's of oil and nothing changed. Then I emptied all the oil and added 140cc of Valvoline 20W-50 (cSt 166 at 40C). Still no change in the damping speed. Now I assume something must be wrong with the damper assembly.

Does anyone have a picture or parts diagram of the damper assembly for a ~2003 psylo xc? I want to check my damper to see if something is broken.

Stupid question but I assumed 1cc=1ml. Is this correct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Just checking - after loosening the bolt, did you then try adjusting the rebound through the hole in the bolt? If it clicks, in my experience that means the adjuster is seized and the allen key is slipping. After loosening the bolt, try turning the rebound adjuster clockwise, since if it's jammed, counterclockwise will just jam it further.

Strange that there don't seem to be any service manuals available online. Angryasian.com used to have lots of Rockshox info but that site is offline. Enduroforkseals has some manuals but not for the damper.
I also have a Psylo fork (Race not XC), and I do have the parts guide .pdf, so I've saved the XC page to jpeg, hope this is some help.
Text White Line Font Diagram

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fsrxc said:
Just checking - after loosening the bolt, did you then try adjusting the rebound through the hole in the bolt? If it clicks, in my experience that means the adjuster is seized and the allen key is slipping. After loosening the bolt, try turning the rebound adjuster clockwise, since if it's jammed, counterclockwise will just jam it further.

Strange that there don't seem to be any service manuals available online. Angryasian.com used to have lots of Rockshox info but that site is offline. Enduroforkseals has some manuals but not for the damper.
I also have a Psylo fork (Race not XC), and I do have the parts guide .pdf, so I've saved the XC page to jpeg, hope this is some help.
View attachment 456802
Yes, i did try adjusting the rebound after loosening the bolt. It still only turns 90 degrees so I assume it is engaging the damper since it stops at the 90 degree mark. Do you mean clockwise looking at the bottom of the fork?

Thanks for the diagram.

Has anyone had a broken psylo xc damper or hydracoil damper before? Is so, what was the problem

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
wraydp said:
Yes, i did try adjusting the rebound after loosening the bolt. It still only turns 90 degrees so I assume it is engaging the damper since it stops at the 90 degree mark. Do you mean clockwise looking at the bottom of the fork?

Thanks for the diagram.

Has anyone had a broken psylo xc damper or hydracoil damper before? Is so, what was the problem
Yes, looking at the bottom of the fork, so the damper will screw in, which should release it from the bolt.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took out the damper assemble again last night. Do the 2 round holes near the bottom of the damper assembly (nearest fork bottom) always stay fully open even if the rebound adjustment screw is turned? When i turned the rebound adjustment only a small slit near the top of the rebound assembly opened and closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts