Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have a Reign SX with 170mm front & rear travel that came stock with a Domain R that I have upgraded to RC by adding the Motion Control damper but still I am not that happy especially since it is a really heavy (2.9 kg) fork.

Anyway I plan to buy another fork and I am between the Pike 27.5 160mm and the Lyrik DH 170mm. The Pike is considered as one of the best forks avaialble and I am thinking about the 27.5 160mm version in order to keep the same a2c and why not maybe in the future I can convert it to 27.5. On the other side the Lyrik is a great fork as well and it comes with a 170mm version so no additional changes are required.

Considering that I am mainly an AM rider and quite heavy (110 kg but plan to lose a lot of weight) what would you suggest? Ideally I want a plush fork with good small bump sensitivity that could also take big hits when necessary. I just wish there was a Lyrik with the Pike charger damper but there isn't one. Should I better wait for 2015 for Rockshox to present their new forks?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
994 Posts
the two big differences between the lyrik and pike are the axle interface and the damper. the pike is only available in 15mm hub axle, which is a deal breaker for me. 20mm or bust, so lyrik by default(for me). the pike has the charger damper, which has been proven to be so effective, they have incorporated it into the new boxxer. i don't have any ride time on the charger, but all things considering, it is ****in awesome. the lyriks mission control damper is no slouch by any means, i have a lyrik rc2dh with solo air spring and love it.

OP - personally, i would go with the lyrik, for the simple fact the pike is only available in 170mm. going with the pike, and adding the correct amount of ac height to compensate for the reduced travel, will be a compromise in my book.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also prefering more the Lyric but the Pike has raving reviews so I am afraid that I might regret it. Also sinve they already introduced a Boxxer with the charger damper maybe they will introduce a Lyrik as well. So it is more a game of patience.

I want to change my Domain and if I do it now I would go for the Lyrik but I think that if I wait a Lyrik with the charger damper could also be available so I would regret buying the DH version.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,439 Posts
the two big differences between the lyrik and pike are the axle interface and the damper
Not so much, the Lyrik damper is damn good (high/low speed compression control) and the big difference is the chassis strength. The pike is a 4lb fork, it doesn't sound like the type of fork for the OP, it's not the right kind of fork for that bike, it has a low A-to-C for a given travel size, and the lyrik is just a better match for the bike.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes the Lyrik is meant for a more aggressive, harder riding application than the pike, bordering on the edge of a freeride fork..if there is such a thing anymore. Still plenty light enough for an all mountain bike, that's what I use mine for.

The Charger damper can be retrofitted to the older Boxxers, wonder if they will make one compatible for the Lyrik?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I own both and can tell you the Charger damper is a lot of hype. Sure it works well (a lot better than Fox offerings) but my Lyrik is still better - I run the RC2DH damper with a coil spring and it's the smoothest fork I've ever ridden. It does need to be serviced more than the Pike (because air mixes with the oil in the Lyrik) but servicing it is a piece of cake. As for stoutness and stiffness - don't underestimate the Pike, even with a 15mm axle (that surprised me). That said, you can never go wrong with more travel IF you're an aggro rider. My Lyrik is a good 1.5 lbs heavier than my Pike so I have it on my FR bike for shuttle days and have my Pike on my Bronson which can do it all. Be honest with yourself - if you aren't that aggro and intend to pedal a lot (especially uphill) then get the Pike. If you are aggro and don't care about getting to the top first but want the best possible fork for the DH's then get the Lyrik.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
J:
5,128 Posts
2nd what Gman said ^^

Lyrik can be setup w/ coil spring.. and Pike is only air spring (someone convert Pike to coil yet???)... that should get you close enough to what you need to know

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't really understand what aggressive riding means but as far as I am concerned the Reign SX is and will continue to be my "do it all" bike and please note that I am currently using a Domain RC and Kage RC combo so I suppose that either the Lyrik or the Pike would be better and lighter.

To be honest if there was a 170mm Pike I would choose it over the Lyrik driven by the hype and the lower weight. Unfortunately there isn't one so the next best option for a Pike is the 160 27.5 in order to maintain the same a2c but my OCD will keep bugging me if I choose it and have a different travel front and back.

So the next option is the Lyrik but I am afraid that if I buy it now that 1 month later a Lyrik with charger damper will be introduced and I will regret it. And of course the new Fox 36 was already announced so maybe it is worth waiting for it even though I am not a big Fox fan.

What can I say? I just wish I could decide.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
If you find a cheap Lyrik R, you can easily install a Mission Control damper into it. That's what I did on the Lyrik I had on my '11 Spesh Enduro.

I still have one more of the dampers, brand new in bag, that I'd part with.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a final question. How is the small bump sensitivity on the Lyrik? Would you say that it is a plush fork or will I have to fight it as I do with my Domain?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I honestly worry about reliability with the PIKE as well. Reading the PIKE thread has turned into a whole lot of blown up dampers, and a whole lot of folks paranoid that their damper may be blowing up. The Lyrik is a tried and tested fork, and I just retired my 2009 Lyrik (upgraded to 2010 damper after a few hiccups) after 4 hard years of abuse. Serviced the damper yearly, and the lowers twice yearly with a seal swap ever year (crazy simple to service). Still rides as smooth as day one.

Moral of the story, for your bike, the PIKE worries me and I think you will have more success with the Lyrik. Haven't ridden a PIKE however, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with your arguments. So I will either buy the Lyrik now or just wait for a new Lyrik with a charger damper in the near future since they have already introduced it in the 2015 Boxxer and the reviews are great. Of course to be honest I dont know if it is reality or just the usual hype.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
couple drops..

Pike uses a very small amount of lubrication so it need to be done a lot..

OT- @ y0bailey, that soft/matte finish you put on EG looks nice.. getting jealous on the taper head tubes.. hoping they slap a 56mm some time soon

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ΟΚ. I still hesitate to make the decision about the Lyrik DH. The reviews are great but I am trying to convince myself to wait for a while until RS and Fox present their 2015 line ups. C'mon RS introduce a new Lyrik!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a MK2 Nomad. Had a 170mm Lyrik RC2DH Coil version on it. Decided to drop some weight and future proof myself so I picked up a 160mm Pike 27.5. I have about 5 rides on it and I don't miss my Lyrik at all, to me it feels as good as the Lyrik with huge weight savings.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even though I am not crazy about the weight savings a Pike will be about a 1kg lighter than my Domain which is crazy! Also the new FOX 36 is supposed to be around 1.9 kg! Plus a Monarch Plus will be at least 300-400 grams lighter than my Kage RC. Add also the weight savings from going from 2X10 to 1X10 and I can almost save up to 1.8-2 kg!

So even though I have an itch in my pocket I will try to maintain my patience and wait.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,439 Posts
Yes the Lyrik is meant for a more aggressive, harder riding application than the pike, bordering on the edge of a freeride fork..if there is such a thing anymore. Still plenty light enough for an all mountain bike, that's what I use mine for.

The Charger damper can be retrofitted to the older Boxxers, wonder if they will make one compatible for the Lyrik?
I don't give a damn about the charger damper. It's in my pike, it works, but it's only because it has the parts NECESSARY to provide good low and high speed control. The Lyric also has this, abeit a little different, but many forks like old marzocchis, really old boxxers, cheaper versions of forks, even the newer fox "evo" stuff, LACK the necessary high and low speed damping circuits. The lyric most definitely does NOT lack these. It's a great damper. Stop worrying about the charger.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts