Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my pike (426 coil u-turn) for riding park and lately i have been noticing a loss in compression, the forks compression adjustment was weird to begin with. The blue knob on top was more like an on off switch, it didn't do anything when placed in between the extremes, so i just ran it in the "locked" position (which wasnt even locked) and adjusted the compression with the floodgate. The fork only became locked out when I turned the floodgate all the way up, and it was soft when it was all the way down, so i ran it in the middle. Now after about 6 months of riding it, it has slowly lost compression and now its at the point where it is in the locked position and the floodgate is turned all the way up but u can still go through the travel. I also noticed a little bit of oil coming out from around the little rubber o-ring around the floodgate knob. What could be the problem?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
urbanfreerider666 said:
I use my pike (426 coil u-turn) for riding park and lately i have been noticing a loss in compression, the forks compression adjustment was weird to begin with. The blue knob on top was more like an on off switch, it didn't do anything when placed in between the extremes, so i just ran it in the "locked" position (which wasnt even locked) and adjusted the compression with the floodgate. The fork only became locked out when I turned the floodgate all the way up, and it was soft when it was all the way down, so i ran it in the middle. Now after about 6 months of riding it, it has slowly lost compression and now its at the point where it is in the locked position and the floodgate is turned all the way up but u can still go through the travel. I also noticed a little bit of oil coming out from around the little rubber o-ring around the floodgate knob. What could be the problem?
Since you ran your fork with the low speed compession circuit closed, you were forcing all the oil through the floodgate and may have exhausted it. It is comprised of a rubber piece which flexes a controlled amount to give you desired blow off. It may have lost its elasticity and it is just stuck open.

What spring are you running in that fork? If you're running a recommended one, well, that spring doesn't work well for urban riding and if you were compensating with compression, then it is very likely it is worn. You may need a new motion control unit. But I'm making a lot of assumptions.

_MK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.