Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at two all mountain bikes and the only major difference that i can see and need input on is the forks.

fork #1= rockshox pike 351 140mm travel solo air motion control damper, rebound adjust, maxle light included.

fork #2= fox 32 float r w/15qr thru axle 150mm travel

what are the pros and cons of both of these also what is the maxle light that is included with the rockshox, probably something obvious but i am new.

is it true that rockshox forks are capable of using all of its travel while the fox forks tend to leave 20-30mm of there travel unused?

does the rockshox come with a thru axle also cause they didn't mention it?

any input on this stuff would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
adam

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
All Pikes are through axle. Maxle Lite is a 20mm thru axle. That's a plus in my book, as far as hub options go and the 20mm vs 15mm debate.

Use of travel...20-30mm is a myth or at least a rare occurence for select individuals.

I'd say you can't lose with either fork. Both are basic OEM models, that are highly upgradeable down the road if you want better dampening with more adjustability.

I say buy whichever bike you want, the forks, other than aesthetics, are a moot point in this situation.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Pike is a much stronger/stiffer fork. Rockshox upgrade parts are FAR cheaper than Fox parts.

but . . .

the Pike will also be much heavier (probably nearly about 3/4 pound heavier).

In my experience, Fox forks very rarely get anywhere close to full travel. Although the Pike is "only" 140mm vs the Fox 150mm of travel, the Pike will use much more of the travel.

Finally, I could be wrong, but I think all air sprung Pikes are "dual air"--a really sweet tunable system.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
The Fox will use most of it's travel. If it doesn't you can easily trim 10 to 20mm off the air shaft to make the fork more linear and make it use all it's travel.

The Fox has a better damper. The Pike will be stiffer. The Fox will be lighter.

Fox seals are rubbish, and the first thing when you get the fork is to rebuild it, and install Enduro seals. Rock Shox seals are good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.