Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of all the freakin rockshox forks being sold, I have yet to hear a single review on their rear shocks.

Seeing as how their new forks are pretty much the most reliable fork on the market now, how about their new rear shocks?

Rockshox rear shocks were a joke in years of past. Notorious for the "just bought it, blew up rolling it out the door of LBS" syndrome.

I don't see it stock on ANY bikes, I don't see anyone buying them for aftermarket, so what gives?

If the quality of their forks resides in the shocks too ,then they must be bullit proof.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
SpawningGround said:
Seeing as how their new forks are pretty much the most reliable fork on the market now, how about their new rear shocks?

I don't see it stock on ANY bikes, I don't see anyone buying them for aftermarket, so what gives?

If the quality of their forks resides in the shocks too ,then they must be bullit proof.
The most reliable fork on the market? Care to back up that statement with some statistical facts? No conjecture please.
Your last statement is pure conjecture. Perhaps becuase "no one" is buying them aftermarket might give you a clue.
Explain please.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
SpawningGround said:
The Trek Fuel line has RS rear shocks stock across the lineup. MC3 on some, BAR on others.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
You're not hearing feedback because it's January and nobody has them yet. Wait until late summer/fall.

Pearls are shipping OEM now and not yet available aftermarket to consumer as far as I can tell. If they are then it's a very recent development.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
If they are then it's a very recent development.
I was at MHC on Sunday and got the impression they are shipping now. Larry mentioned he was getting one to play around with and as luck has it, my Yeti uses the same length and stroke as his Bruja.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
Jdub said:
I was at MHC on Sunday and got the impression they are shipping now. Larry mentioned he was getting one to play around with and as luck has it, my Yeti uses the same length and stroke as his Bruja.
I've played around with the Pearl briefly. Early impressions are very favorable but I'll need more time before posting anything definitive.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Renegade said:
The most reliable fork on the market? Care to back up that statement with some statistical facts? No conjecture please.
Your last statement is pure conjecture. Perhaps becuase "no one" is buying them aftermarket might give you a clue.
Explain please.
Ohh please, spare me the prudence. :rolleyes:

Based on the three bike shops in my area that sell tons of bikes with Rebas, Pikes, and Toras, I've had a chance to talk with all of them about the rockshox reliability. For the most part the rockshox forks never need to be sent back to Rockshox. They've had a quite a few Marzocchis that needed to be sent back, along with Fox and Manitou. Usually the lower end ones though. On the other hand every one of the new rockshox platforms has been nearly flawless regardless of price segment.

If their rear shocks are as good as their forks, then it's only a matter of time before they start selling tons of them.

Remember when the Pikecame out? People laughed at the idea of such a stupid looking fork made by Rocksux. "Just another POS from RS". Just because no one bought them intitially doesn't mean jack squishy squat about how they actually performed or their reliability.

I've owned several Marzocchis. The Pike I've had for over a year now has been less maintenance than any of them. I don't have to change the oil constantly in order to keep it smooth. On top of that, changing the oil is many times easier than a Zoke and the fork doesn't hide oil, requiring it to be left upside down overnight to drain.

I still hold true to my statement. I think Rockshox has proven they can put out an affordable product with nearly no design or production flaws. The failure rate of the new forks is incredibly low. :p In the end, all I care about is that I have myself a maintainable and reliable product. There's not much in these forks that can't be fixed by the user.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
SG, three bike shops in your local area is hardly the basis for a statistical conclusion. If you want to just say "Me and my buddies believe this" then go ahead, and I'm fine with that. I'm not bashing your brand of suspension, just your claim which you cannot back up with fact.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
As an example; when a consumer agency such as consumer reports researches for a report on the reliability of a select group of SUV's, they don't just go to three independant auto shops in one area, they cull information from independant and dealer shops from across the country, from documented cases. They amass true statistical data, then publish a report based on that data.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
SpawningGround said:
Ohh please, spare me the prudence. :rolleyes:

Based on the three bike shops in my area that sell tons of bikes with Rebas, Pikes, and Toras, I've had a chance to talk with all of them about the rockshox reliability. For the most part the rockshox forks never need to be sent back to Rockshox. They've had a quite a few Marzocchis that needed to be sent back, along with Fox and Manitou. Usually the lower end ones though. On the other hand every one of the new rockshox platforms has been nearly flawless regardless of price segment.

If their rear shocks are as good as their forks, then it's only a matter of time before they start selling tons of them.

Remember when the Pikecame out? People laughed at the idea of such a stupid looking fork made by Rocksux. "Just another POS from RS". Just because no one bought them intitially doesn't mean jack squishy squat about how they actually performed or their reliability.

I've owned several Marzocchis. The Pike I've had for over a year now has been less maintenance than any of them. I don't have to change the oil constantly in order to keep it smooth. On top of that, changing the oil is many times easier than a Zoke and the fork doesn't hide oil, requiring it to be left upside down overnight to drain.

I still hold true to my statement. I think Rockshox has proven they can put out an affordable product with nearly no design or production flaws. The failure rate of the new forks is incredibly low. :p In the end, all I care about is that I have myself a maintainable and reliable product. There's not much in these forks that can't be fixed by the user.
Please explain the "hiding places" for the oil in Marzocchis. This is yet again another odd statement. I can service a marzocchi, completely cleaning it of all the oil, including the ETA cart in under 45 minutes. The most time taken is cleaning the parts.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Please explain the "hiding places" for the oil in Marzocchis. This is yet again another odd statement. I can service a marzocchi, completely cleaning it of all the oil, including the ETA cart in under 45 minutes. The most time taken is cleaning the parts.
I'v noticed Marzocchis can hide a lot of oil inside of them. Sure 95% of it drains right away but much is still trapped. This can make it difficult to measure the amount of oil going back in without trying to measure distance from crown, or replacing with same amount drained.

I've drained a z1 ETA and for yucks I opened it up two hours later and drained the oil again. To my amazement the oil was dirty again, meaning plenty of left over old oil was residing in the fork even after drainage.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Yeah, the Pearl is available now, have one arriving for a customer tomorrow. He's a regular here, so I'm sure he'll post pics of it on the 5-Spot soon.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Full Monty Bike Bore
483 Posts
We've had an MC3 on my partners FuelEX since August and it's been 100% reliable and tames the carbon sprung rear end nicely. The Floodgate adjustment range is quite small though and it initially had a tendancy to adjust itself but it's been fine on the last few rides.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
SpawningGround said:
I'v noticed Marzocchis can hide a lot of oil inside of them. Sure 95% of it drains right away but much is still trapped. This can make it difficult to measure the amount of oil going back in without trying to measure distance from crown, or replacing with same amount drained.

I've drained a z1 ETA and for yucks I opened it up two hours later and drained the oil again. To my amazement the oil was dirty again, meaning plenty of left over old oil was residing in the fork even after drainage.
Good response because it shows you are full of it. What can you expect not servicing it right?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Unless a person either removes the hscv cartridge from the fork leg, or, as a compromise, inverts the fork and pumps the damper rod, oil will remain in the cartridge, to contaminate your new oil. It only takes a couple of minutes more to do this, mabey to some folks that's a big hassle.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Renegade said:
Unless a person either removes the hscv cartridge from the fork leg, or, as a compromise, inverts the fork and pumps the damper rod, oil will remain in the cartridge, to contaminate your new oil. It only takes a couple of minutes more to do this, mabey to some folks that's a big hassle.
Ditto... At least on the Marathons is even simpler to remove the cart's and do the whole thing from once (clean stanchions, lowers, clean and grease a bit the wipers, drain carts, etc.).

No big deal. Even if if takes you an hour or two, it's completely worthy and not more difficult.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rockshox makes:

- the widest 32mm stanchions
-the lightest 5 lb fork
-the longest travel 5 inch fork

They do everything better than everyone else. ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.