- 780 mm bar
- 50 mm stem
- Shimano XT 1x with 42 wolf's tooth added to the cassette
- American classic all mountain wheels
- Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 tubeless up front
- Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 tubeless at the back
- rockshox reverb 150 seat post
- fizik gobi xm seat

The area where I recently moved to offers more XC/ AM than downhill so I want to make a couple of minor adjustments to ensure the bike climbs a little better whilst not losing too much of its great downhill capability. I already changed the stem from 50 to 90mm which helped a lot but I am now considering changing the rear shock to a RS Monarch plus RC3. I know that for the Reign X one would normally recommend the Vivid but that would still gear the bike too much toward DH for the terrain I now have here.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any experience running their Giant Reign X with a RS monarch plus RC3? If so Hi Allan could I put the Monarch plus RC3 on my Reign X if I wanted it tone come better and climbing and AM instead of DH?can you pls share? Especially if you came, like me from a Fox DHX 5.0, I would really welcome your feedback

2. Any other suggestions to make the bike slightly more AM capable?

I also own a Niner A.I.R. 9 RDO carbon which I use for pure XC so I don't want to make the bikes too similar but I would like to use both bikes where I live now and to do so I need to make some subtle changes to make the Reign X less DH and mor AM orientated (50/50 UH/DH).

Thanks a ton in advance for all your feedback!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anyone let you know what the appropriate tune for the reign x frame is? Looking to do the same but there is a higher margin with the different tunes that correspond to the different leverage ratios.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have one on an '08 reignx and its a great shock, especially for an air shock. I run a medium tune "MM" but Rockshox recommends a High tune. I prefer a plusher ride and really like the medium tune more. If you want to lean more towards the XC side, I would assume the High tune is what you'd like more.

-Sp

I have a 2010 Giant Reign X currently set up for mostly DH asfollows:

- rockshox pike 160mm FS
- FOX dhx 5.0 RS
- 780 mm bar
- 50 mm stem
- Shimano XT 1x with 42 wolf's tooth added to the cassette
- American classic all mountain wheels
- Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 tubeless up front
- Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 tubeless at the back
- rockshox reverb 150 seat post
- fizik gobi xm seat

The area where I recently moved to offers more XC/ AM than downhill so I want to make a couple of minor adjustments to ensure the bike climbs a little better whilst not losing too much of its great downhill capability. I already changed the stem from 50 to 90mm which helped a lot but I am now considering changing the rear shock to a RS Monarch plus RC3. I know that for the Reign X one would normally recommend the Vivid but that would still gear the bike too much toward DH for the terrain I now have here.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any experience running their Giant Reign X with a RS monarch plus RC3? If so Hi Allan could I put the Monarch plus RC3 on my Reign X if I wanted it tone come better and climbing and AM instead of DH?can you pls share? Especially if you came, like me from a Fox DHX 5.0, I would really welcome your feedback

2. Any other suggestions to make the bike slightly more AM capable?

I also own a Niner A.I.R. 9 RDO carbon which I use for pure XC so I don't want to make the bikes too similar but I would like to use both bikes where I live now and to do so I need to make some subtle changes to make the Reign X less DH and mor AM orientated (50/50 UH/DH).

Thanks a ton in advance for all your feedback!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts