Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Drink...sleep
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Went for a ride yesterday and noticed my Monarch RC3 Plus has a very noticeable knocking feel, like a small hesitation in its travel, at the beginning of its stroke, at around the 10% mark on the shaft. It happens in the compression stage only, rebound feels fine. It's there whether there's air in it or not, and it only happens in its lowest compression setting. When I move the lever to to the middle setting, all is fine.

I'm ready to give the shock a tear-down, any advice on what to look for? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Drink...sleep
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I figured it had to be something like that. Will get the IFP adapter and give it a go!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since a few days ago I have exactly the same problem. Did you find out what caused the knocking? Any suggestions on what to look for?
Thanks!

·
Drink...sleep
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was probably air that leaked into the shock oil (likely from the IFP). I did a tear down of the IFP and main chamber, and rebuilt the shock with fresh oil, as indicated in the Rockshox docs. Didn't replace any seals. Worked like a charm after. Be careful with screwing the IFP chamber back on, mine had a tendency to squish the o-ring seal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info!
It didn't unscrew the IFP chamber. Just went through the bleeding process in the manual. As far as I can tell that did the job. I can tell more after the first few rides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not until now. It's been close to 10 month and I did everything from local trails to rounds in the park. Even when its coming back, its a quick fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts