Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
nov0798 said:
I dont do the bushings if they look fine, but I always replace the orings, etc, at the recommended intervals. Now in reality, they always look ok, but they arent expensive, so why not?
Yep, finding out half-way through a ride that your air cartridge is now leaking and you have no travel just sucks. Preventative maintenance is far less painful than a ride cut short

·
EDR
10,425 Posts
Mk3Rider said:
Went to coil forks, just going to do an oil change and slap her back together.
Ya, but don't neglect the seals. I have a coil Lyrik and during last weeks ride my travel was cut down to two or three inches during my ride. RS forks are notorious for leaking past the rebound seal head (or shaft) oring and causing hydrolock, which is what happened to me. Sure, I still rode it out but it was harsh and not fun worrying about damaging anything further. 20 bucks for the full comp/rebound seal kit and it's like new again:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The seals/o-rings/wipers don't last forever, but they certainly last a fair bit longer than 50 hours. If you're servicing a fork several times a year, the cost of those service kits can really start to add up. If it makes you feel better, go ahead, but I think it's unnecessary.

·
I <3 bikes
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So six of one, half dozen of the other? :D

Is there an o-ring kit available or do I have to buy an entire service kit? It's a 2009 Pike dual-air.

So far I've seen:
bushing kit $27
service kit (pike solo/dual air) $18
mo-co service kit $13
seal kit $20

From the looks of it, I'd have to purchase both the service kit(solo/dual air) and mo-co kit if I want to replace the o-rings. That sucks. I don't want to spend $30+ on service kits every 50hrs of riding if I don't have to. Oil and o-rings fine, but things like clips and air-valves, air caps and bottom-out bumpers...no thanks.
Are there just o-ring kits available? Anybody already have a list of the o-rings(sizes and qtys) needed for a Pike dual-air?

·
THAT guy
139 Posts
RS sells bulk o-ring kits. Heres the pike kits. No clue what the prices are though.

11.4015.259.000 Crush Washer 8mm, Qty 50
11.4015.260.000 Crush Washer Retainer, Qty 50
11.4310.693.000 Reba/Pike/Tora/Recon/Revelation Lwr Bushing Qty 20
11.4310.694.000 Reba/Pike/Tora/Recon/Revelation Upr Bushing Qty 20
11.4310.696.000 32mm Dust Seal Qty 20
11.4311.140.000 Reba/Pike/Boxxer 32mm Oil Seal Qty 20
11.4310.697.000 Foam Ring (32mmx3.5mm) Qty 20 - SID/Reba/Pike

Edit: Never mind, theres no o-ring kits there, I thought there was, sorry.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
from what i have been told by rock shox is that no mechanic owns bushing tools anymore. modern bushings should last a long time. bushing replacement these days is just a lower swap. rock shox forks are easy to work on

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
If you look through my posts, you'll find I'm a big fan of preventive maintenance, However, only replace seals and o-rings as needed at a 50hr service. An o-ring operating in an oil bath will last a long time. Don't make more work for yourself out of paranoia.

·
I <3 bikes
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bad mechanic said:
If you look through my posts, you'll find I'm a big fan of preventive maintenance, However, only replace seals and o-rings as needed at a 50hr service. An o-ring operating in an oil bath will last a long time. Don't make more work for yourself out of paranoia.
Other than an obvious broken o-ring or seal, how will I know which ones need replacing?

·
THAT guy
139 Posts
svmike said:
Other than an obvious broken o-ring or seal, how will I know which ones need replacing?
The rubber will get a bunch of small cracks when it starts to rot. They can also "flatten out" over time, though thats more obvious when you put it side by side with a new one.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I think you'll also find that o-rings/seals don't usually just suddenly fail catastrophically once they've been in and working (new ones are actually a little more risky for sudden failure). More commonly you'll just find that your air chamber isn't holding air as well as it used to, or your lockout isn't working consistently. Then you just change those seals with your next oil change or maybe do a complete overhaul at that point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.