Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the numbers of the forks mean?

For example, Pike 454, Pike 426, Pike 409, Recon 351, Recon 335, Recon 327, Argyle 302, Argyle 318, Argyle 409.

These numbers are the same as engine sizes of old muscle cars. Is the number relevant to the fork, or is it just for kicks?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Just a way to differentiate different level versions of the fork, no actual meaning besides that though. To find the actual differences you can check the RockShox website or search through an online shop with a large & descriptive catalog

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
pop_martian said:
Just a guess but maybe the axle to crown measurement?
Nope. The Argyle, for example, is available in three different models that are all 100mm of travel and the same a2c length. The difference is in internal construction and features, such as the damper type, spring type, etc

Just think of it as a model name written in numbers:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
A lot of the numbers correspond to old (60s and 70s) muscle car engines. Chevy 454, Dodge 426 hemi, and 318, Ford 351 windsor. I have no idea if that is a coincidence or not...

but as stated before yes the numbers tell the differences in models in the same line of forks. My Tora 318 has a better damper than the 302 does

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
spazzy said:
A lot of the numbers correspond to old (60s and 70s) muscle car engines. Chevy 454, Dodge 426 hemi, and 318, Ford 351 windsor. I have no idea if that is a coincidence or not...

but as stated before yes the numbers tell the differences in models in the same line of forks. My Tora 318 has a better damper than the 302 does
I always thought that was the basis....lotsa stuff sold with military/gun/horror named stuff, too...same sort of marketing....pretty much aimed at the the same guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.