Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a post on this new damper.

I ordered the RC2 version for my Pike the day they were released. My first ride started out ok but shortly in to the first decent there was a noise like seemed like a tight seal on the rebound stoke. The fork seemed to be working ok but I cut the ride short. That afternoon I wanted to take damper out to see what was up and it came out in 2 pcs with the damper fluid everywhere. The rebound piston and lower shaft had come separated, like the piston unscrewed from the shaft, there was no visible damage.

I got it warrantied and instead of replacing it they put it back together. This time there is very little rebound range...there is some at the top of the travel, but at 20 clicks in it still rebounds quite fast when past 1/2 compressed. It seems to have no high speed rebound damping.

Third times a charm I am hoping, I'm expecting to get a brand new one this time.

Iron Parallel Composite material Gas Paint

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thought I'd start a post on this new damper.

I ordered the RC2 version for my Pike the day they were released. My first ride started out ok but shortly in to the first decent there was a noise like seemed like a tight seal on the rebound stoke. The fork seemed to be working ok but I cut the ride short. That afternoon I wanted to take damper out to see what was up and it came out in 2 pcs with the damper fluid everywhere. The rebound piston and lower shaft had come separated, like the piston unscrewed from the shaft, there was no visible damage.

I got it warrantied and instead of replacing it they put it back together. This time there is very little rebound range...there is some at the top of the travel, but at 20 clicks in it still rebounds quite fast when past 1/2 compressed. It seems to have no high speed rebound damping.

Third times a charm I am hoping, I'm expecting to get a brand new one this time.

View attachment 1251886
Just a follow up post.

The shop sent the damper to the sram service centre expecting to get a new damper sent over. The service centre sent the same one back saying it was fine, but since this had come apart initially the shop insisted I get a new one so I had to wait another week to get that sorted out.
The new one is very similar if not the same, strange...at least it hasn't come apart yet.

This is my review after a few rides on two dampers, compared to a C1 RC.
  • I can feel a noticeable within the range of both compression knobs.
  • I use significantly less travel (at least 15mm less) at the same air pressure. This is with both compression adjustments at minimum. I'm already 10psi below the recommended psi with no tokens. The damper does have full range of motion so, there is no limiting factor there.
  • I'm experiencing less small bump compliance even with the LSC at minimum.
  • The HS rebound does not seem to be slow enough. Even with the rebound knob maxed out, the mid and deep stroke rebound is quite fast. This is not the same as the Pike C1 damper I have or a Lyrik C2 RC2 I tested in a shop, both had a noticeable slowdown throughout the range of travel, this one seems to be only affected at the top of the stroke.

To me, the damper has a firmer LSC, similar if not a bit softer HSC (adjustable at least) and way less rebound damping.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Did you re-shim the dampener ? From my understanding, you need the reshim the rebound when you install the new 2.1 charger ...

Also looking at getting the 2.1 RC , I was alwasy indee the impresion that the RTC3 was the top tier ... but would prefere to adjust LSC and HSC seperate

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you re-shim the dampener ? From my understanding, you need the reshim the rebound when you install the new 2.1 charger ...

Also looking at getting the 2.1 RC , I was alwasy indee the impresion that the RTC3 was the top tier ... but would prefere to adjust LSC and HSC seperate
Hi

That's weird, do you have a link or something? That would seem ridiculous to buy a brand new sealed and bled damper and then have to take it apart to reshim it prior to use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does SRAM/RS do anything right the first time..even second time for that matter?? The first one you get....junk. Send it back. Still not right. Your LBS has to insist SRAM warranty with a new unit...seriously?? I'll be glad when this era of mtn bike explosion subsides a little and the OEM's can actually offer a decent product where the end user isn't expected to a) at best, plan on at least fixing a known or anticipated error right out of the box or b) at worst, plan on sending it back altogether and almost immediately. More proof that the level of quality coming out of SRAM is pitiful....at best.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Does SRAM/RS do anything right the first time..even second time for that matter?? The first one you get....junk. Send it back. Still not right. Your LBS has to insist SRAM warranty with a new unit...seriously?? I'll be glad when this era of mtn bike explosion subsides a little and the OEM's can actually offer a decent product where the end user isn't expected to a) at best, plan on at least fixing a known or anticipated error right out of the box or b) at worst, plan on sending it back altogether and almost immediately. More proof that the level of quality coming out of SRAM is pitiful....at best.
While I've had good luck lately, I agree.

Would be good to see a slow down on the new inventions and simply make what we have more durable and work right.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I just took delivery of a Charger 2.1 RC2 as a warranty replacement for a Charger 2 that was leaking oil through the compression adjusters.

From the "unrealistic" hand cycling of the damper, I can feel a noticeable difference when one moves the adjusters, compared to the Charger 2 where i felt absolutely nothing. Of not is the LSC seems to make less of an influence, where as the HSC makes a noticeable one. However the LSC does make more of a difference once the HSC is fully closed. I remember Dougal mentioning something about this due to the Oil circuit design, the LSC needle doesn't make really any difference unless the HSC is fully closed.

Installing on the bike and will be riding tomorrow and will give a report back.

·
Registered
615 Posts
While I've had good luck lately, I agree.

Would be good to see a slow down on the new inventions and simply make what we have more durable and work right.
Seems like that's what they are doing for the most part?

Rockshox
2018 - Increased negative air volume and released charger2
2019 - Refined chassis, tweaked the air spring again and improved the seals to reduce friction
2020 - Revalved the damper, changed fluid, improved a couple seals to reduce friction

It seems more like refining the paroduct and not really pushing new tech.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just took delivery of a Charger 2.1 RC2 as a warranty replacement for a Charger 2 that was leaking oil through the compression adjusters.

From the "unrealistic" hand cycling of the damper, I can feel a noticeable difference when one moves the adjusters, compared to the Charger 2 where i felt absolutely nothing. Of not is the LSC seems to make less of an influence, where as the HSC makes a noticeable one. However the LSC does make more of a difference once the HSC is fully closed. I remember Dougal mentioning something about this due to the Oil circuit design, the LSC needle doesn't make really any difference unless the HSC is fully closed.

Installing on the bike and will be riding tomorrow and will give a report back.
Do you have a report? I'm interested to read how you find it and how you set it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.