Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at the trailhead app, there appears to be 2 airshafts available but doesn't tell me what the difference is..any reason to get the silver over the other?

1)Air Spring Upgrade Kit - DebonAir C1 - ZEB(silver sealhead) - 170

2)Air Spring Upgrade Kit - DebonAir C1 - ZEB - 170

Potential for knock / top out sound...

· Registered
42 Posts
It seems some forks were clicking/creaking around 30-40% travel due to their red sealhead being out of tolerance. I personally had a fork in from a friend that didn't reveal anything obviously wrong, yet continued to creak no matter what I did. Some guy on pb had his airspring changed under warranty which seemed to fix the problem. So silver sealhead for safety I think.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
My zeb had some odd creaking and clunking that I couldn't nail down when I first got it, it would be a single clunk that felt a bit like a loose headset, but not quite as significant of a thud as bushing knock. I switched to a 170mm air shaft with the silver seal head, and the clunks/clicks have gone away.

· Disgruntled Peccary
6,682 Posts
Has anyone actually compared the two? I have nothing but silver seal head shafts. This is what I was referencing in the other thread. If someone wants to make comparisons, I'm happy to measure a silver one.

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have also a Zeb charger R fork and i have a question,

Can anyone advice if the Zeb Ultimate's airshaft is wider (bigger) OD in comparison with the airshaft of the zebs charger?
I am referring to the airshaft itself and not to the sealheads.

I bought the service kit of the Zeb Ultimate but the lower red sealhead internal diameter is much wider than the diameter of the default air shaft. So they cant fit.

And since the airshaft acts like a negative chamber, then this should be an important advantage of the ultimate (apart of the damper).

So according to my understanding the ultimate is having a much bigger negative chamber than the entry level charger.
Can anyone verify?

· Registered
239 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have also a Zeb charger R fork and i have a question,

Can anyone advice if the Zeb Ultimate's airshaft is wider (bigger) OD in comparison with the airshaft of the zebs charger?
I am referring to the airshaft itself and not to the sealheads.

I bought the service kit of the Zeb Ultimate but the lower red sealhead internal diameter is much wider than the diameter of the default air shaft. So they cant fit.

And since the airshaft acts like a negative chamber, then this should be an important advantage of the ultimate (apart of the damper).

So according to my understanding the ultimate is having a much bigger negative chamber than the entry level charger.
Can anyone verify?
Maybe you bought the Dual Position kit?

· Registered
4 Posts
Maybe you bought the Dual Position kit?
Hey man yes! you are correct. Thank you.

But now i have an additional question.
Since the airshaft itself acts like a negative chamber maybe this explains why my friends domain 2022 (also 38mm) is much plusher than my zeb.

So can we put domains airshaft inside the zeb for a plusher ride??

my friend with a domain (the same bike) is much much plusher than my zeb.

· Registered
239 Posts
"is" or "isn't"? I thought the domain utilized steel stanchions and as a result, their wall thickness would be different, as would the air spring parts.
I was referring to the shaft diameter, not the stanchion I.D.
So, no point in using the Domain air shaft in the zeb, even if it was the msame I.D (which as you pointed isn't)

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey i think we just got confused.
So let me clarify.

In the zeb, the airshaft itself is acting like a negative chamber.

The dual position airshaft is thicker than the non dual position air shaft.

So the zeb with the dual position airshaft has a bigger negative chamber (the airshaft itself).

So are there any ideas about using the dual position air shaft of the zeb to the zeb instead of the non dual position?
I hope i clarified this for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.