Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to service Rockshox rear shock and I was wondering what is/are the cSt (centiStoke) rating/s of RockShox 3wt suspension fluid or what brand is this oil originally? I have multiple different weights of Motorex suspension oil and I'm going to use that for the shock (one weight or a mix).

I don't want to go through the hassle of trying different weights and wasting my time with that unless I really have to. I would really appreciate a little help on this problem.

Edit:

Just to answer myself and anyone else interested. It seems that Rockshox uses Torco oil and according to Pvdwiki suspension oil chart it seems that even the lightest (2.5W) Motorex suspension fluid is a bit too thick (compared to original oil). So I may have to buy something else or just try 2.5W Motorex...

Suspension Fluid - Pvdwiki

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
That chart is outdated. Rock shox did use Torco for a long time. But I thought they changed several years back to something like Belray?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the correction! So if I understood correctly, RockShox changed the viscosity rating and that makes finding a suitable substitute a bit difficult. Trial and error might be an option but I would want to be in the ballpark when it comes to viscosity rating. Anyone have any more accurate information about viscosity rating of RockShox 3wt suspension fluid?

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Rock Shox no longer uses Torco, they use Maxima.

Rock Shox 3wt rear shock fluid is Maxima Racing Shock Fluid 3 wt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great information, thanks! so Rockshox oil is just rebranded Maxima oil without any special viscosity ratings.

Then it seems that 2.5 W Motorex oil should be quite close (although slightly thicker) to original Rockshox 3wt suspension fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts