Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking of picking up a 2020 Whyte 901 that comes with the Rockshox 35 Gold RL 130mm fork. From what I can tell it does not have adjustable compression, just lock out, but does take tokens and has adjustable rebound.

This would just be my backup bike, but does anyone know if it can be upgraded like some of the other Rockshox models in case I decide I want more performance out of it later or would I just be better off spending the extra $$ and going with the 905 that comes with a Pike Select?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The spring is different than the one in the yari and revelation. Those forks have a dimple in the stanchion. And 35 equalises at topout. The spring design is the same as the sektor, reba forks. Because of this, it can't be as supple as yari or revelation. But the damper design is very similar to those.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The spring is different than the one in the yari and revelation. Those forks have a dimple in the stanchion. And 35 equalises at topout. The spring design is the same as the sektor, reba forks. Because of this, it can't be as supple as yari or revelation. But the damper design is very similar to those.
Thank you for the feedback.

Is it possible to revalve these forks or is it not as easy to take the internals apart. I'm sorry if these questions seem dumb. I really like a few bike models that come with these forks and I am familiar with the motocross industry and very comfortable taking dirtbike forks apart. I just don't know what the internals of these mountain bike forks look like. Is it a basic damening rod with shim stacks for compression and rebound?

Thanks, rob

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Best bet if you want a better fork, service and sell the one you have and buy a used Pike or lyrik. Service that shock as well, should be good to go.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Anyone looked further into tweaking/upgrading the 35 Gold RL? Different seals or other tweaks?
Moco is going to be the big performance bottleneck. Orifice rebound and waaay too much HSC. (haven't ridden a Gold, but moco has been unchanged for 15 years) I'd be shocked if you can't drop a charger damper in to a Gold chassis.

Reactions: stefanboheme

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
So in short, it works much worse than forks that also work poorly. :lol:

I like rockshox, but once you dip below their charger stuff, they're really basic forks with marginal performance.

It'll be reliable, stiff and durable. Just poorly damped.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
So in short, it works much worse than forks that also work poorly. :lol:

I like rockshox, but once you dip below their charger stuff, they're really basic forks with marginal performance.

It'll be reliable, stiff and durable. Just poorly damped.
Equalizing at topout and mostly equalizing at topout is a small distinction. Like, it's technically inferior-ish, but mentioning it just adds confusion. The damper is the bottleneck.

I really feel for folks who want to make the most of a budget fork. You could tune a budget manitou or xfusion and get a world class fork, if you know what's up. Budget RS cannot perform well without replacing internals. They're missing necessary parts. (i know you know all this)

As you said, "It'll be reliable, stiff and durable. Just poorly damped."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, it seems to be a bit too much compression. I opened up a 160mm/29 to remove a token, but there weren't any there. It's not my bike, but I always think it's interesting getting the most out of the cheaper components. I've been told the Charger dampers won't fit in the 35 because of the narrower internal stanchion width... Not sure if that's the case though.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was thinking of getting some 35 golds, bothered about them potentially having too much stiction. noticed in the service manual you can upgrade the seals to SKF ones! part number 00.4318.045.004

·
Registered
307 Posts
I recently upgraded my Judy Silver to a Gold RL 35. For the $500......I would add another $300 or so and get a Fox 34 or a Pike/Lyrik. I initially thought it would be a great value, but the damper on the Gold 35 just isn't up to par with what I expect. It's NOT bad, but just not good enough for me cause i'm a lighter rider (155lbs). This shock feels like its built for riders in the 175 range or above and it specifically says for e-bikes too. I'm now just going to sell my Gold 35 and then upgrade and get a 34 Stepcast.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I recently upgraded my Judy Silver to a Gold RL 35. For the $500......I would add another $300 or so and get a Fox 34 or a Pike/Lyrik. I initially thought it would be a great value, but the damper on the Gold 35 just isn't up to par with what I expect. It's NOT bad, but just not good enough for me cause i'm a lighter rider (155lbs). This shock feels like its built for riders in the 175 range or above and it specifically says for e-bikes too. I'm now just going to sell my Gold 35 and then upgrade and get a 34 Stepcast.
See my thread here with pictures showing the internals and reviewing the fork's upgradeability. SRAM designed this fork to be incompatible with the internals of their higher end 35mm forks.

That said, I put it back together with SKF-made dust seals, SRAM Dynamic Seal Grease, Maxima Plush in the uppers and Motorex Supergliss 100K in the lowers. The fork feel is much improved over stock SRAM, and it had less than a dozen miles on it from new when I disassembled it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
See my thread here with pictures showing the internals and reviewing the fork's upgradeability. SRAM designed this fork to be incompatible with the internals of their higher end 35mm forks.

That said, I put it back together with SKF-made dust seals, SRAM Dynamic Seal Grease, Maxima Plush in the uppers and Motorex Supergliss 100K in the lowers. The fork feel is much improved over stock SRAM, and it had less than a dozen miles on it from new when I disassembled it.
Good to know - If I can find my 34 StepCast, I'm not even going to bother trying all that. I'm done with Rockshox. Just going to stick with Fox in the future :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
You spent $500 on the 35 Gold? It can be had for around half the price and you can actually get a Yari and Lyrik for under $450 and a Pike for just below $500 here in Europe.
$435 bought and installed at local bike shop. Lesson learned. I could have easily gotten a nicer fork second had even and then installed for same price. LOL. It's all good. I'll either sell this or keep it for another build.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Would using a lighter oil in the damper have any effect? I have one of these forks and its mostly okay but i do find the compression damping to be a bit harsh. Even the rebound I run only 2 clicks from fully open.

Sent from my SM-P585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Would using a lighter oil in the damper have any effect? I have one of these forks and its mostly okay but i do find the compression damping to be a bit harsh. Even the rebound I run only 2 clicks from fully open.

Sent from my SM-P585 using Tapatalk
Lighter oil might have an effect, but it's really the damper itself that's the issue. You can't even upgrade it to a nicer damper.

I've actually lowered air pressure, fully opened compression, and run 5 clicks from fully open. I went on about 10 rides on the exact same trail. I've got it tuned to the best it will ever be for me, which isn't bad at all. BUT - I just can't get the mid-range to be where I want it to be. It's not bad.....but you can really tell it is valved for bigger riders (I'm 155-160 w/ gear). I just ordered a FOX 34 Stepcast today. Found one for a steal Online :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.