Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Who Gets To Decide?

That looks like a spot that at least 99% of the masses could ride without incident. I hope whoever fixed that spot got the permission from the FS before they did that work. User's can't just do what they believe is right. I use to fix spots like that, but now NFW.

TD

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,002 Posts
I speared myself pretty good a few years ago, caught a tree in my arm and amost got an artery. It was pretty messy still, but nowhere deep as in that picture. Very little trail maint. of any kind around here, so loose conditions+deadfall and stuff that's been cut can cause it.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Almost have to go with traildoc on this one. I've gone over that at least 20 times without peril. But pungi sticks on a tree are not a good thing either. Probaby just time to cut the tree out since it impedes flow in the dh direction.

·
slower than you
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost have to go with traildoc on this one. I've gone over that at least 20 times without peril. But pungi sticks on a tree are not a good thing either. Probaby just time to cut the tree out since it impedes flow in the dh direction.
when it's you (or your pal) it doesnt matter what the odds are when your number comes up. in this case punji (note correct spelling, btw) could have been deadly had it been his belly rather than his butt. redpie is a very experienced rider, a foot-slip on a dry dusty log cost him a lot of blood yesterday. nevertheless, the log, now newly cured of its punji stick problem, has had no lasting effect placed on the rideability of this particular trap, but, punji-free, it does make failure a little less catastrophic.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
when it's you (or your pal) it doesnt matter what the odds are when your number comes up. in this case punji (note correct spelling, btw) could have been deadly had it been his belly rather than his butt. redpie is a very experienced rider, a foot-slip on a dry dusty log cost him a lot of blood yesterday. nevertheless, the log, now newly cured of its punji stick problem, has had no lasting effect placed on the rideability of this particular trap, but, punji-free, it does make failure a little less catastrophic.
Duuuuuude, you sanitized that trail!

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
I'm glad Redpie is ok. My only point was TD had a point. And too many sharpy points in question so good for one to decide and take care of it for the rest. The 1%, 30%, 70% or whatever.

·
slower than you
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like a spot that at least 99% of the masses could ride without incident. I hope whoever fixed that spot got the permission from the FS before they did that work. User's can't just do what they believe is right. I use to fix spots like that, but now NFW.

TD
fyi: the collection of dead-down wood for personal use is a permissible activity on the forest.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Chunks of flesh in your shorts is all a part of mountain biking maaaaaaaannnnnn.....

j/k...in all seriousness....that's a pretty messed up injury.....did you ride out to meet the ambulance? Walk? Go into shock? Put a My Little Pony band-aide on it? Details......

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Prior to 6/5 if I lived in Flagstaff that injury would have never happened. There have been a number of similar accidents that also never happened in Sedona due to my trail maintenance activities. The number one trail builder in Sedona loved to build his new trails by just breaking branches next to the trails he built. I assume he still builds trails using the same techniques, but since I am on a road trip and no longer doing trail maintenance be aware when riding new trails in Sedona.

TD

·
slower than you
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chunks of flesh in your shorts is all a part of mountain biking maaaaaaaannnnnn..... j/k...in all seriousness....that's a pretty messed up injury.....did you ride out to meet the ambulance? Walk? Go into shock? Put a My Little Pony band-aide on it? Details......
we called 911. i rode down dogfood to schultz pass rd. to flag ambulance. redpie (injured rider) and the third-man walked out, the third-man with both bikes, redpie with the third-man's jersey balled up and pressed to his hip. summit fire and guardian responded within 10 minutes. 10 staples and a lot of subcutaneous stitching later redpie was in and out of FMC ER in under two hours. had his followup today; no infection, healing nicely all things considered.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Prior to 6/5 if I lived in Flagstaff that injury would have never happened. There have been a number of similar accidents that also never happened in Sedona due to my trail maintenance activities. The number one trail builder in Sedona loved to build his new trails by just breaking branches next to the trails he built. I assume he still builds trails using the same techniques, but since I am on a road trip and no longer doing trail maintenance be aware when riding new trails in Sedona.

TD
oh TD, sometimes shyte happens. Stick or no sticks. Trail stewards or no stewards.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts