Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went out this morning and took advantage of the spring conditions and cruised up one of the river beds along the road system. The river is ephemeral in the winter and long stretches of it are dry and covered in snow.

On the way up the valley along a 4-wheeler trail:

The lower stretches of the river are wide and braided, and there were some vehicle tracks:

We had a few thaws this winter when the river apparently had some flow in it and washed the snow away from the main channel. We rode in the gravel sometimes when the snow got soft from the sun:

There is a warm front moving in, and the light on the mountains was pretty cool:

Cruising back out to the coast:

The BarnySnauxMobile:

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun

I see it's way nicer there than in Anchortown today. I could have used some sun! Two degrees F this morning! Will the snow ever go away? :rolleyes:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rando, I feel bad for stealing your rockers as I see you took your Sultan out for its maiden voyage. I bolted your rockers on this afternoon and took two laps on the nearby forest trail that is currently rideable (see the Rockin' the moss thread for pics of the trail) and swapped back and forth between your LV RP23 and my HV RP23. Oddly enough, they seemed quite similar to me. I need to make sure I have the pressures right before I call them truly the same though. I thought one would really behave quite differently from the other. I ran about 30psi lower pressures in the LV. The 5.5 rockers put the BB within about 3mm of the BB hight of the Push rockers, and I'm not sure they felt that different either. The Turner ones sure look a lot more impressive though, that's for damn sure. :)

Looking at the moss shots again, it's hard to believe that those pics were taken on the same day as the snow pics, both at sea level, within a couple miles of the coast. :eek:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You sure are a lucky man Tscheezy, those are some awesome images there - both the still life and moving. Congrats on the engagement, don't think there's to many jealous members here :skep: Watch your back :)

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
tscheezy said:
Rando, I feel bad for stealing your rockers....
Don't sweat it. The 5.3 Spot rockers with a coil shock that I ran today are a pretty darn plush combination. I rode my fully rigid 29er snowbike yesterday and got really beat up, so today's ride was pretty refreshing.

tscheezy said:
you took your Sultan out for its maiden voyage
Yeah, my fork finally arrived. I waited longer to ride today than I wanted to even. Awoke to single digit temps and waited until almost noon for the temp to at least reach double digits, and by about 1:30 it was in the twenties. Trail conditions were firm and fun!

tscheezy said:
I bolted your rockers on this afternoon and took two laps on the nearby forest trail that is currently rideable.....and swapped back and forth between your LV RP23 and my HV RP23. Oddly enough, they seemed quite similar to me. I need to make sure I have the pressures right before I call them truly the same though. I thought one would really behave quite differently from the other.
I'm surprised by that too. Maybe it's more a function of the ProPedal settings than it is the aircan size. Take your time with trying to discern differences though. I need to concentrate enough on breaking in the fork and fine tuning my riding position. I think I have the reach and stem okay, just not sure yet about the flat bar. I gotta admit that I'm really jealous you at least have some snowfree trails. The moss looks really inviting.

tscheezy said:
The Turner ones sure look a lot more impressive though, that's for damn sure. :)
Yeah, those are sharp looking rockers. As good as the 5.3's felt on the Sultan though I think the 5.5's will eventually wind up on my '03 Spot! Take your time, like I said.

Tell Barny hi, Rando

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Nice pics! Gravity Retarder on a Snaux bike? Just when you thought those things couldnt be any more useless... :)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buzz said:
Nice pics! Gravity Retarder on a Snaux bike? Just when you thought those things couldnt be any more useless... :)
Funny what happens when you don't even OWN other seatposts. :lol:

·
Large member
2,751 Posts
Great pics. I always feel sorry for Barny, doesn't the poor girl have any warm clothes, or do you just prefer to keep her scantily clad for personal reasons?:D

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Congrats Ts and B on the engagement!
Nice pix.

RE the rockers, I also came up with similar measurements when comparing the two. I also felt the rides were close. the 5.5s being slightly snappier, the PRs being slightly plusher.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
OldHouseMan said:
Nice Pics Tscheezy, Just need to throw some skis on your back and access some of that steeper terrain.
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like an interesting playground.

Sort of interesting to think of a winter ephemeral stream as a transportation route in AK. I think more of frozen streams becoming essentially "highways," but that's probably because my AK experiences were all in the winter working with people at UAF. Brrrrr.

Nice pics as always! :thumbsup:

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
jokermtb said:
Man, my GF would kill me if I posted a picture of her buttside while riding her bike - and she ain't even a fattie!

I don't know how you've evaded getting smacked!?
Are you serious? I say do it and get a video of the smackdown.

·
Can Tree Member
847 Posts
jokermtb said:
Man, my GF would kill me if I posted a picture of her buttside while riding her bike - and she ain't even a fattie!
Ummmm....maybe you want to rephrase that before Barny reads it to mean that you're calling her a...oh, never mind.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
I don't think posterior pics are a bad thing, shoot that's where all the horsepower resides. It's like taking a picture of a glorious 6.3 liter mercedes benz amg v-8..........dang the new amg c-63 is suhweeet!!!!! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts