Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy here been riding for two years on a Response Sport and I am ready to upgrade to a newer ride.

I have good experience and have learned a lot in these past two years and I now want a ride that is more sophisticated, cool and light weight. I've been doing a ton of homework on the Rockhopper 2011 and Stump Jumper Comp 2011, I want to stay hardtail as I do mostly technical and cross country, nothing really really extreme. These two bikes seem to be the most logical choice and for my money it points me toward a rockhopper, but I've been told the Stumpy has more of a race orientated geometry. I kinda want to see what that is all about and it obviously would out-do the Rockhopper?

I rode the Rockhopper after being fitted to a 17" frame and it was impressive. Felt so light yet strong and that it would be easy on the trail and around stuff. I didn't ride the Stumpy, but I'm very curious about it and its(I was told) superior geometry. Quite a jump in price from rockhopper to the stump comp, but I am serious about riding and I want to get better and better at it so I guess I would feel comfortable paying 1900 for the Stumpy vrs 800 for the rockhopper.

My question is, being a pretty good rider right now(I can hold my own) and I'm upgrading from a Diamondback Response, should I get the Rockhopper or go for the Stumpy comp?

Do you think the Stumpy is a LOT more aggressive ride and a better value in the long run?

Thank you.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
the stumpy is the much nicer bike. i don't think the geo is *that* different, but until you look at exact numbers and ride both, it'd be hard to say for sure. are you talking 26 or 29? because the 29 has fancier rockhopper options if you weren't aware. or if you're talking 26, disregard that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The Stumpy has way better spec. Geo doesn't seem that different to me on paper anyway. Ride both and see what you think. And keep the significant difference in spec in mind.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on a test ride with a Stump, I believe I am going to save every dime I can spare until I can afford a nice optioned Stump(most likely the comp) I know I love to ride hard and been doing it on a diamondback for two years, so it will be a good investment with a Stumpy.

I just have a feeling I'll outgrow the Rockhopper to fast.

I never rode a 29er, but have wondered if they would be harder to pedal due to more circumference/leverage. Just seems that way. I see how they can ride better though.

So many choices and I'm looking at Cannondale trail series as well, they seem to be pretty awesome.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I was debating between those 2 bikes a few years ago and went with the Rockhopper to save money. I wish I would have bought the Stumpjumper HT. I quickly replaced many of the components on the Rockhopper and have spent what I would have on the better bike.

After riding the Stumpjumper, it just felt "better" to me than the Rockhopper. I don't think it would be a problem on a longer ride for me.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Is your Response in good shape?

The riding season itself is worth a lot to me, so I'd choose (and did) to buy a cheaper bike and not lose a season over buying a more expensive bike but sacrificing several weeks or months of riding to save the money for it.

FWIW, I think you're making the right choice in going for a new bike instead of bolting money to your current one.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
Is your Response in good shape?

The riding season itself is worth a lot to me, so I'd choose (and did) to buy a cheaper bike and not lose a season over buying a more expensive bike but sacrificing several weeks or months of riding to save the money for it.

FWIW, I think you're making the right choice in going for a new bike instead of bolting money to your current one.
My Response is in perfect shape with two seasons of riding on it,nothing has broke and I keep it clean and lubed at all times.

I'll ride it again this season and save for a Stump or trail from Cannondale most likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts