Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently have a 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc, and I'm looking to upgrade some of the components. Thus far, I've upgraded the tires from Fast Trak LK Sports to Panaracer Fire XC Pros, and I'm about to have my BB5s replaced with BB7s. I've also upgraded the brake levers from Avid FR-5s to Avid Speed Dial 7s.

Currently, my other components are stock:
RockShox Dart 3
Shimano Altus Front Derailleur
SRAM X-5 Rear Derailleur
SRAM X4-R trigger
SRAM PG-830, 8-speed cassette
SR SunTour, Octalink spline crankset
Alex RHD 26" rims

Most of my riding is on upper intermediate to low-level advanced off-road terrain (some rocks, sizable roots, some minor jumps). I don't ride on terrain that is too technical (rock gardens, huge jumps, etc.), but I am in excellent shape (marathon runner) and I sometimes feel that my body can push my bike harder than the bike is capable of going. This summer, I plan on visiting some of the trails in PA (Rothrock and Raystown Lakes), and these trails are a bit more technical than what I have here in Western NY. Obviously, having an 8-speed drivetrain limits some of my options, and if I did decide to upgrade the shifters to 9-speed, then I'd basically have to upgrade the entire drivetrain (everything but the crankset?).

Thus, I'm curious...is it worth upgrading the drivetrain, or should I save and get a better front suspension? Does anyone have any suggestions? I really love my Rockhopper (the M4 frame is worth its weight in gold), and I feel that I can make this into a really sweet bike with a few simple upgrades. But, which upgrades do I make?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
i recently asked the same thing, and went through with alot of the suggestions i was given.

what i did
09 manitou minute elite absolute fork 100mm
mavic 717 wheels on hope pro2 hubs and supercomp. (i loooooooove these hubs, this was the best upgrade after fork)
much more comfy wtb laser seat
azonic 420 flat pedals
alligator rotors (got rid of the awful turkey noise my avids were making)
chris king nothreadset (or go cane creek 110)
spec sworks HT chainstay protector

very happy with everything and it looks sexy as hell. ill make a pic thread soon

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
I think you will feel greater benefits in other upgrades such as a fork, nice wheels and tubeless with decent tires, than a 9speed drivetrain. you should most definitely save for a new fork and wheels, but in the meantime there are plenty of low-price upgrades with great benefits. The best one I can think of is ghetto-tubeless. Others include foam grips (save a good 80grams), jagwire ripcord cable/housing kits, and lightweight tires such as schwalbe roro/raras.
I upgraded my rockhopper from bb5 to bb7, then to juicy7, and I think you get most bang for your buck saving a bit more for hydro. Factoring all of the costs of a bb7 setup, a good hydro kit is often only 20%-50% or so more expensive. I recommend holding off the bb7s and saving for juicys. You can also take a gamble with Hayes.
The minimum for a 9 speed setup is a new shifter, new cassette, and new chain. I believe the X5 on your bike can be easily coerced into service for nine speeds.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
upgrade that fork, get a fork, you can drop up to a pound and gain some performance at the same time

next, i'd upgrade the wheels for around $300 you can get some good stuff from Bicyclewheelwarehouse

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

So, it sounds like I'd be better off with a new fork and a new wheelset. The most that I'd be willing to spend on a new fork would be around $250.00-$300.00, and from the looks of it, I'd probably have to spend around $200.00 for a good wheelset (ouch). Any suggestions for either? I know that the Dart 3 is not the best fork in the world, so I imagine that any upgrade will be better than what I have.

Also, from what I've read, it appears that I won't need a new crankset if I ever did decide to go with the 9 speed? Here are the specs for my bike:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45803&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

The reason that I'd want to upgrade the shifters is because sometimes the shifting is not as smooth as I'd like it to be. Would new cables/housing solve the problem?

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it (and so does my wallet).

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
Bodie6 said:
Thanks for the replies.

So, it sounds like I'd be better off with a new fork and a new wheelset. The most that I'd be willing to spend on a new fork would be around $250.00-$300.00, and from the looks of it, I'd probably have to spend around $200.00 for a good wheelset (ouch). Any suggestions for either? I know that the Dart 3 is not the best fork in the world, so I imagine that any upgrade will be better than what I have.

Also, from what I've read, it appears that I won't need a new crankset if I ever did decide to go with the 9 speed? Here are the specs for my bike:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45803&eid=4340&menuItemId=9253

The reason that I'd want to upgrade the shifters is because sometimes the shifting is not as smooth as I'd like it to be. Would new cables/housing solve the problem?

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it (and so does my wallet).
No, you do not need a new crank for 9speed. new cables/housing would only help if your current ones are gunked. More likely it needs some tuning. You can find lots of tutorials online, on youtube, etc. Also, changing shifters will very very rarely, if ever, improve shifting performance by an appreciable amount. An off-tune derailleur, worn chain, or worn cassette are almost always the root of shifting problems.
A decent wheelset will cost at least $250. A decent fork will be $250 minimum.Given your budget, I'd try to find a Rockshox Recon 351 or Recon Race. If you can't find that in your budget, you can settle for a Rockshox Tora 351 or Tora Race which has the same internals but a heavier chassis and steel stanchions.
this would be a good wheelset to invest in:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH298A03-Dt+Swiss+X1800+Wheel.aspx
(you need the front, and rear, which total about $260)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Have you looked into how much you can sell your bike for? If I were you I would consider what you want to upgrade and how much you can sell your bike for. The compare the outlay of money to purchasing a HT Stumpy that fits what your looking for. I'm betting you might come out ahead just getting what you want new - more so if your buying new parts. A good fork is going to easily run $650 a good/decent wheel set is going to run $200 - $800; so your probably already over a grand. From there, based on your list, you need a new build kit (less money to purchase it complete) and an XT kit will run you around $800 (blue sky) so know your at $2k. Another thing to consider is who is doing the work? Some of the parts you are talking about upgrade need tools, tools are expensive - and so is LBS labor.

You can purchase a new Stumpy Comp for $1750, the stock parts aren't bad and you can upgrade as you break stuff.

Just a thought - not that I have any experience over investing in bikes...

Anthony

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
I have a 2007 RH comp disc that I bought new a few years ago.
The single best upgrade was a new wheelset, as the factory one was junk. I bought a SOS/XT combo from bicycle wheel warehouse that made a world of difference. I have since upgraded to something lighter(easton havocs) and those to have made a huge difference.

Next best thing was tires, finding tires that work for your terrain/ riding style are the most cost effective difference.

Also I recently upgraded the fork to a recon 351 and it is also a great purchase if you can find one cheap (ie jenson usa). The tora that came on mine was a good fork but the adjustability and dampening on the 351 is a vast improvement.

As far as selling and buying a stumpjumper- I thought about selling mone but then I realized thatI liked the way it rode, and that a more XC race type frame was not for me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.