Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just bought a 06 Rockhopper. This is my first mountain bike and it's one hell of a ride. When I purchased this bike, the salesperson said that I should be riding a size 19 just by looking at me. I'm 5'10, 185lbs with an inseam of 30 or 31 on my pants. When I stand over the tube, I have just about an inch of clearance at the bottom. But have very little to no clearance at the top of the tube. Is this a problem? When I ride the bike, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp and control of the handle bar. I'm not over stretching by any means and it actually feels really comfortable. Do you all think the clearance may be an issue?

Aside from the question of size, i fount that the seat on this bike is really uncomfortable. and hurts like hell. Can you guys/gals recommend a good replacement thats not too pricey? Any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the size is a tough call, its hard to tell without seeing it in person. but i think i would have slod you the 17" because it is a little lighter and more manuverable for you if you do some technical riding. as for the seat, try riding it a few times to see if it gets better. many people say the BG seats take some getting used to but are good in the long run. they are scientificilly proven to prevent nerve damage in men that can lead to bigger problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a 17" Rockhopper. I'm about 5'8" and mine fits just like you're saying yours does. The top tube has a pretty decent ammount of slant on it, and is probably about 4" higher up by the steerer tube than where I stand over it... I think that if you can stand over the very top of the tube, the bike will be too small... that means you would have 5+ inches of standover clearance near the saddle. I think the fit is probably good, but you can check with the store you bought the bike from and they can watch you ride and can probalby help you.

As for the saddle. I've got a Specialized Rival... its pretty sweet. The guys at my LBS highly reccommended it and I love it... really comfy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.