Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot about the Rockhopper and it seems like the ideal bike for me in my price range. I was planning on spending $500-600 which would get me the standard Rockhopper ($520). I noticed the Rockhopper Comp is only $770. I looked at the different specs, etc but for a newbie like me it's hard to tell if the components are worth the extra $250. I noticed the RH comp has the upgraded fork (RockShox Tora 318 SL, instead of standard Rock Shox J3 SL). I've read a lot that hardtrail bikes in this price range have OK forks, but nothing special. So if I got the RH comp would I end up replacing it down the road anyhow? Is the frame between the two models exactly the same in terms of weight? Just looking for some advice between the two models so see if the price/components is worth it, thanks!

-Jordan

P.S. What do you guys use for bike locks? I was looking at some $20-$30 fairly beefy bendable cable locks, some with keys and some with combinations and the combo locks were "rated" higher in terms of security. Is this the case?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought an '05 base model RockHopper and swapped out the Manitou Axel Comp (6lb!) fork for a Manitou Skareb (3.2lbs) I bought on ebay for $150. Sold the Axel for $75.

I really like the fit and ride of my RockHopper and it's a great bike for the price. Light frame and worthy of down the road upgrades IMHO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the frame's in most lines are the same, in this case yes they are (the descriptin should also say so). all forks wear out after a while, it depends on how hard you ride it and how good of a fork it is. if it cant be re-built then you will have to buy a new one anyway. if you find yourself riding hard and often you will need a better fork anyway. the better bike will weight a little less and the parts should work a little smoother. if you are looking this late in the season i would get an 07, i believe there is no price increase and rode a 07 rockhopper comp disc the other day at work. full deore spec, tora fork, rode nice. i would get that, they are available

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.