Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I'm just looking for a little advice here cause I just got into mountain biking recently. I've been searching for a rugged, durable bike that will be smooth and strong, yet relatively cheap. Narrowing it down to my best options, I've figured my best bets for the money are either the '08 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc or the '08 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. My intended use for the bike is about 50% rocky, rugged trails, 25% hitting small jumps (2-3 ft.), and 25% riding bridges so I need something that will take all that abuse. Can anyone offer some advice as to which you would recommend and why? or any other suggestions for different bike options? thanks

·
ride ride ride
133 Posts
not sure that either of those would be appropriate for the AM riding you're describing. I wouldn't want to subject an aluminum hard tail to jumps like that, for example.

I'd consider a used steel hardtail like a Rocky Mountain Blizzard or better yet a used FS if cost is a major factor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it really a bad idea to hit small jumps like that with aluminum hardtails? cause i've been doing that with an old trek 4300 recently and my friends have done the same and there hasn't been any problems really. even for that type of minimally all mountain riding, would i really need a full suspension? I'd rather stick to a hardtail, and the steel of that rocky mtn blizzard seems kinda heavy, any other suggestions?

·
for three!
208 Posts
2 to 3 ft jumps aren't major, those bikes you're looking at will easily handle that abuse. I had an 08 rockhopper base model with the rim brakes, and the m4 frame was extremely strong, but light. I'd be very surprised if you damaged that frame with your type of riding. And as far as the two bikes go, i really liked my rockhopper, very solid and fast, and i can only imagine the pro disc is that much better and lighter. Try to take a test ride on it and see how you like it. Can't tell you much about the gary fisher, but it looks like a solid bike from their website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.