Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i need some advise if thats ok, i have loud clicking coming from the bottom bracket on my rockhopper comp 29er 2014, first i changed the pedals to some nukeproof ones but clicking is still there. It happens when i stand up and pedal and also under light load when sitting down. I think its the bottom bracket. I want to get them replaced but my local bike shop only supplys a cheap replacement so i have decided to buy my own which they said they will fit. I need to make sure i get the right bottom bracket as i dont want to buy the wrong thing.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er 2014 Mountain Bike | Evans Cycles this is the bike i have with the specs the bottom bracket is GXP BB for 2pc., 73mm shell

I dont want to pay out a fortune but at the same time i dont want the cheapest around.
i have been having a look on
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bottom-brackets/mtb-road-bottom-brackets?f=2258 but not sure which one i should get. The bike is mainly used to commute to and from work but occasionally i do like to hit the trails.

Any help would be greatfully received

Many Thanks

Carl (Broadstairs, Kent)

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
Well the spec sheet says GXP which is SRAM. However, I have learned to look for slight proprietary engineering changes from Specialized.

·
4 Niners
2,124 Posts
GXP is the SRAM external bearing BB design. 73mm means you don't use the spacers.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Have you checked if the bottom bracket is installed to the correct torque with anti-seize or teflon tape used on the threads. A dry or under/over torqued bottom bracket can often be the source of clicking and creaking.
+1 My Stump Jumper Comp did same thing shop stopped it but its back.
I'm going to do what Bike Whisper said above it will stop the noise.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Follow Bike Whisperer's advice and ask the shop where you bought the bike to remove the bottom bracket and reinstall with anti-seize (it's applied with a brush to the shell threads).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked if the bottom bracket is installed to the correct torque with anti-seize or teflon tape used on the threads. A dry or under/over torqued bottom bracket can often be the source of clicking and creaking.

Thank You all for your replys, i will try what you said and see if that helps before paying out for a new bottom bracket.

Carl

·
Registered
88 Posts
Make sure the pedals are tight. I just put a set of pedals on my bike and after a few rides I was getting a clicking every rotation when pedalling. Ended up my left pedal worked loose. Tightened it down and the clicking stopped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts