Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased a Specialized Rockhopper, I got a such a good deal for the basic model that I could not resist, even though I was planning on getting the "pro" The first upgrade is to disk brakes, so I got on ebay Avid BB-7 disk brakes, some brake cable housing w/e and spare set of wheels, the price is still less then the disk model. The only thing i am having doubts is installing the brakes, I watch the video on youtube and they require adjustment torque wrench, where the hell do i get that, i went trough all the department stores around found some for $200 bucks, not paying that, i was thinking taking it to the shop to install everything but I am kind of DIY guy and love working on my own things. Any one have any idea or have faced this before??? please advice:madman:

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Torque wrench for what? I just put a BB7 from BB5 on the front of mine and used no torque wrench.

BTW, for the love of God somebody put their Rockhopper disc wheels for sale somewhere... anywhere when you upgrade. There most be dozens in garages all over the world. I need to upgrade my son's front to disc and don't want a different brand wheel.

·
Registered
934 Posts
DmitriX said:
adjustable torque wrench for the precise screw pressure razor fish, and thanks oegymrat i l check those out
One of the mgrs at jensonusa recommended this torque wrench. Cheapest one, that is solid, that I could find as well. BTW, for your brake cables, as well as derailleurs in the future, be sure you loop them with enough length (but not too much either!) from the lever to the frame. Trust me...it sucks to cut them too short and have to dump it all!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess thats what I would do i just can justify spending 80 bucks on a tool that i have just doesn't tell the pressure on the screw, i was just concern on the performance if i do it that way but w/e :) thanks for of you replays

·
Registered
934 Posts
You can certainly do without a torque wrench...however, every bike maintanence book/manual will tell you to use the proper torque on almost all the bolts on the bike. I'm guessing there's a good reason for that. Most of the bikes on this forum are equal or greater to the value of the bike owner's car...assuming they own one. Too tight, you can strip the threads or crush the part (for the brake or shift cable bolt, if you tighten too much you can flatten the cable and won't grip all the threads). Too loose...well, you know. For the self-wrenching rider, it's a given to use and a good investment.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
This is what I was getting at before. General bolts/screws can be done by hand. Critical components (i.e. engine head bolts) need to be correctly torqued. Besides maybe the crank arm bolts, it's unlikely that anything on a bike needs to be torqued to an exact setting.

However, for beginners to mechanical work a torque wrench isn't a bad idea until they get the hang of it. Having a aircraft mechanic as a father I was working on cars/engines from the time I could walk, but I have stripped my share of things in my life. Stripping out post type mounts on a fork would really suck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.