Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a shop in Germany the other day to get tires for a new 26" project and I was going to get the Rocket Ron's but they said they do awful in the wet. They also said so does the Racing Ralph's. I wanted some real opinions on these tires in the wet. Wanted to keep the weight down on the tires but still get some good grip.

I have been riding a 29er with a Bontrager Jones XR 2.25 front and Kenda Karma 1.9 rear and this is a great combination for where I am at and the Rons and Ralph's both seem to have much larger knobs.

They will be set up tubeless on Stans Olympic rims.

I did a search in all the forums but had no luck on these tires in wet conditions. I figured the weight weenies had the most experience with these tires.

·
WTF
292 Posts
Nobby Nics are 485grams and do great in all conditions. Never let me down in wet. They are my favorite tire so for, but still want to try Maxxis Aspens and Continental speed and mountain kings.

·
Registered
311 Posts
another vote for the nobby nic. really great in the mud, and quite light. just not the fastest rolling on hardpack/road. ron's are definitely a better all-around XC tire for most neutral climates, but my northeast trails are muddy 90% of the time, so Nic is my favorite.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think the Racing Ralphs are fairly decent in the wet - I do drop the psi from 28 to about 25-26 when it is muddy as they definitely perform better with lower pressure in those conditions.

I raced them in one of the wettest races I've ever done last year and they handled the slippery singletrack really well, much better than I expected they would.

Can't comment on the Rons.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i like the roro 2,25 very much in wet conditions, but NOT in deep mud. i think they are too wide and have too short and weak knobs. perhaps, the 2,1 or the new 1,8 work better in mud. i will try the dirty dan 2,0 for real muddy races this year, it is the first new schwalbe xc mud tire since the old black shark mud from 199x.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I purchased the RoRo 2.25 Evo front and rear and set them up tubeless using Stans olympics, yellow tape, and Stans sealant. Both tires came in at 452g and were claimed on the box at 445. I have been running them at F 25psi and R 27psi. Outside knob to outside knob measures a true 2.25 but they look to have a good bit of volume.

The setup was very easy and the tires sealed completely in no time. 4 days later still no weeping and very minimal air loss. I am very happy with the ease of overall setup.

I have taken them out for 2 rides so far, a 1 hour ride and a 3 hour ride, both in the rain. The ground has been saturated from the amount of snow and rain here but it really does not get muddy, just soft and wet/slippery. So far the tires are very impressive on different terrains and have yet to have any issue with grip on roots, leaves, gravel, and dirt. I am not sure about wear but I will update after some time has passed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using a UST 1.8 NobyNic in the rear. I've purchesed in my LBS to get a better wheelset for this winter.
The tire pedals quite wheel, but when ride throug soft mud the tire sinks too much to get traction and slows down the bike. It does sheds mud very well.
The side knobs are stiff enough so they dont bend too mud in the hardpack.
All things considerd i say that is a pretty good tire for winter time.
(my actual front tire is a Bontrager Jones Mud 2.0)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
JG_CAAD said:
I've been using a UST 1.8 NobyNic in the rear.
The tire pedals quite wheel, but when ride throug soft mud the tire sinks too much to get traction and slows down the bike. It does sheds mud very well.
Still better than floating on top of mud. I hit a mud patch at speed today and got about 35-40 degrees sideways. It's a wonder I didn't go down.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
rockyuphill said:
What tires was that on? That kind of pucker inducing slide can pull a leather cover right off the saddle. :D
ADvantage 2.1 front, RaceKing 2.2 rear (doing some research ;) )

This particular section of trail has a slight decline, then a sharp turn to the left, and then down a steep decline before flattening out. You don't really see the bottom until you're already heading down the steep decline. At the bottom the soil is red GA clay, and no tire works well in this muck. It's usually dry, but the recent freeze/thaw has pushed up moisture and softened the clay. It was slick as snot! The rear just swung out on me, but the front only slid about a foot to the left. Felt kind of like drifting on a bike.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The RK's will drift a bit on the front on squidgy mud, that induces some pucker. :skep: I do find that they will slip and hold an angle, I haven't lost either front or back completely in a slide yet. They definitely don't like greasy mud the way they like wet surfaces or black oatmeal mud. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.