Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a new front tire. ive narrowed it down to rocket rons or racing ralph, both in 2.25. i like the nevagals, but they just roll so slow.

the conditions: i ride so cal, dry, hard pack with sometimes loose sand or gravel.

what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Try some searchs in weight weenie forum and you may get some results.
here's one
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=545414

I went straight to the Ra Ra 2.4 . I've had one come in at 520ish grams which is lighter than a 2.25 . It has more agressive tread than 2.25 Ra Ra[identical side knobs to 2.25 nobby nic] and rolls really well on the front. I pair it with a Raceking on the back when it gets too loose for a raceking on the front. On hardpack you will notice a huge difference in speed over a Nev. The 2.4 has heaps of volume to roll over rocks and roots.Excellent in the sand, can float a bit on loose over hard but still has good edge grip[not as much as nevegal though]. I suspect Ro Ro would be better in deep loose over hard and closer to nevegal grip but I wanted the biggest volume tire. If it gets really loose I swap out to a nobby nic which is still quick tire and may be worth considering if your used to a Nev?
All of them are quick tires but need to be run at low pressure to get the best grip.

·
Registered
488 Posts
well why not to go with nevegal? the front tire's contribution to the overall rolling resistance is rather low, it's the rear tire which affects this most (just compare how fast front and rear tires wear off). so it's doubtful that you'll notice any significant difference in rolling resistance between nevegal and, say, rocket ron if compared as front tires.

G

·
shapirus said:
so it's doubtful that you'll notice any significant difference in rolling resistance between nevegal and, say, rocket ron if compared as front tires.
Sounds like someone hasn't tried it. It's noticable.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i didn't notice much increase in rolling resistance (noticeable, but insignificant) even when i switched from schwalbe hurricane to conti vertical on the front wheel last summer. since then, i've never really cared of the front tire's RR. at the front, grip is the primary thing to care about. rear tire is a different story. of course, the importance of tire weight is equal for front and rear as they spin (almost) synchronously.

but you're right, i've never tried nevegal. probably it does roll THAT bad, i dunno :)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I live and ride in SoCal and use 2.1" Rockets front
and rear on my 4" travel bike and love them. Not a bad
thing to say about them. A 2.25" would probably give
you plenty of traction. I agree that Nevagals roll slow,
its like someone threw out a boat anchor.

Best, John

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bought a new pair of 2.25 Rocket Rons a few weeks ago. They are good tires, roll well and hook up well in the corners. Good traction on the trail and don't feel like they are going to slide out from you while cornering at speed.

The weight and rolling resistance are good as well. We will have to see about durability, but so far so good.

·
Super Moderator
6,807 Posts
Ron is way better than Ralph, for SoCal conditions. The Racing Ralph is the washout king in dry, loose hardpack...while the Rocket Ron confidently rails corners through it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've picked up the 2.25 RoRo front and 2.25 RaRa rear for endurace raceing here in Colorado (hardpack, loose over hard, loose, rocky). They are noticalby faster up hill than my specialized captin front and rear combo, and nevagals are like riding with the brakes on all the time.

Both the RoRon and RaRa have noticalby less cornering grip than the above mentioned tires and I'm sliding these tires in alot of turns where my ususal trail tire (captin) just holds fine. Same deal riding on rocks, RoRo slides around, RaRa has seen very fast wear on rocky terain. Want more excitment at lower speed, these are a great choice.

Also, the braking of the RoRon and RaRa is not very good in compairson. I rode the CO trail in Breck this weekend and was having a heck of a time slowing down in the loose / loose over hard braking areas (top speed was 28 mph). My friends on mountain kings or nevagals blew my doors of decending due to tires.

The RoRo and RaRa are a good racing tire, they're fast uphill, have good weight in UST, and seem to be duriable in the UST casing. I would not recoment them as a trail tire to anyone with alot of decending in mind. At below triple ring speeds, they are fine, start pushing the speed up and I'd like something with a bit more grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.