Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm digging Art's Cyclery's info on what surfaces they think a tire is best on, and the Rocket Ron seems most suitable for my trails, more than the nobby nics. I bought my HD3 a couple months ago with the 2.5 DHF's and am curious about the wider (but lighter) tires. I demo'd a Mojo3 with the NN 2.8's this summer and did like them, but I like the price, and the weight, and the surface ratings of the Rocket Ron. But will it fit as a 3.0? Actual tread width is 2.87" on a 45mm rim. I will be mounting on a set of Mercury X3 35mm (internal) rims.

·
Ride On!
1,037 Posts
If I remember right, Ibis has said that 3.0 tires fit on the HD3 with Boost spec. The one thing about the Rocket Ron is the durability, Schwalbe lists it at 2 out of 6, whereas the Nobby Nic 3.5 out of 6. I have already have gone through two Nobby Nic 2.8's with rips on or near the sidewall. I am planning to go to the 2.5 DHF's. Having ridden both sizes I feel the weight penalty s a worthwhile trade-off.
'

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I've been running 2.8's Snakeskin Rocket Rons all summer and I thought they were great with no durability issues in the rocks. One thing to point out the 2.8 rr is more aggressive than the 3.0 and it's also one of the larger 2.8's out as of right now anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts