Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else sporting a mullet? Disc brakes in the front, V brakes in the back?
Wheel courtesy of spookykinkajou, brake courtesy of fixedbeer, who also did the install.
New England weather has been awesome the last 10 days or so.
I am still deciding if this is a huge upgrade or not over the XTR V brake. Only a handful of rides so far. One thing is that the front feels VERY different from the rear, since the rear brake is squishy with the positioning of the ENO eccentric. Doesnt fit in the roof rack tray anymore, so no temptation to drive to the trailhead! just riding... but I do need to cut the roofrack to make it work eventually.
OK... post your mullet if you have one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
currently growing mine out

just bought a SE racing BM flyer which comes with disc ready hubs and only a V on the back. next upgrade is disc on the front - will post pics once she's all purtied up!

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Mullet love

I used to be a rear-brake grabbing corner skidder until I got a mullet. I really felt the pain when my wrench scolded me for wearing out a pair of disk pads on my gears way too fast. Now I have Avid mechs up front and some kind of rim brakes in back on my 1x1 and my braking skills have gone through the roof.

It's about stopping bikes, not trucks.

I might even get a new hairstyle.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
the front feels VERY different from the rear
I run a 7" rotor and xt vees on the rear. I'm used to it, of course, but it seems very natural to me. I have no good reason to want to upgrade; no more than Mr. Mullet wanting to shave his head.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep. As a Canadian familiar with the hockey hairstyle, I am proudly sporting the mullet. Great option when you upgrade the front fork - Surly 1x1 - but are keeping the old reliable HT. Avid mech disk up front and LX V brake on the rear. The disk brake up front makes a huge difference in what I can ride with confidence. Can't afford the Blingle Speed so the mullet keeps me going for a reasonable cost. No pic, the HT is a 98 steel Brodie .

·
Registered
338 Posts
FYI the origin of Mullet - longish

from The Word Detective:

Dear Word Detective: I'm wondering about "mullet" haircuts. Where does the name "mullet" come from? -- Mark Kuehn, via the internet.

You are not alone in wondering about "mullets." Within weeks of moving from New York City to Central Ohio a few years ago, I realized that roughly half the men I saw on a typical day were sporting the same odd haircut: short and often spiky on the top, very short on the sides, but then very long, often almost shoulder-length, in the back. They looked (to me, anyway) as if they were wearing flattened groundhogs on their heads, a possibility which, given the other sartorial proclivities of some of my neighbors, I could not dismiss outright. But no, I had merely met the Mullet.

And we've all, apparently, met the Mullet now. There are Mullet web pages galore, a Mullet book, and even what promises to be a Mullet movie, a David Spade vehicle called "Joe Dirt," the previews of which contain a shot of a magazine called, I believe, "Modern Mullet."

Why "mullet"? Nobody knows for sure. There have been two protracted discussions of the "mullet" haircut on the American Dialect Society mailing list in the last few years, and while many nuggets of information have surfaced, a definitive answer remains elusive. A "mullet" is, of course, a kind of fish, or actually two kinds, as there is both a salt water mullet and a fresh water "American" mullet, the latter being the object of affection at numerous annual "mullet festivals" in the South, I am told. "Mullethead" has, since at least the 19th century, been an epithet for "a stupid person," and crops up repeatedly in the classic film "Cool Hand Luke," but without any apparent connection to hair. Although the haircut itself seems derived from earlier styles such as the hideous "shag" that plagued the 1970s, the Mullet probably got a big, albeit unintentional, boost from the Beastie Boys' 1994 song "Mullet Head," which contained actual instructions on how to cut one. The group's fan magazine, Grand Royal, also apparently devoted an entire issue to the Mullet and other bad hair ideas.

In any case, based on several years of close personal observation, I definitely think the haircut is named after the fishy mullet, because the short top and long, flared back really do make it look like the guy is wearing a broad-tailed fish on his head. Or possibly a flattened groundhog.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Where's the Mullet?

C'mon now, the mullet, my Voodoo Nzumbi is my buddy. An extension of me. Full ENO drive, Paul and Rolf hubs, what else is needed besides carbon bars and grips that don't slip.
I wish I could grow a mullet, therefore I ride one. It has been through many many epics, a few CCP 100 races... I just cannot convince myself to change from her yet. The Avid V works fine on the back... heck, who really uses their rear brake but more than 15% anyhow. Having a hyraulic up front gives me all the braking power I need with just a little bit of help from the rear. This past wknd I couldn't even lock up my rear brake on wet pavement... I guess that means time for adjustment!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.