Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
apocalypse MEOW!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought experiment:

All the Master Techs in the county have gotten together and banned you from their shops for pestering them, so you can't custom build your next wheelset.

So you're left buying a branded, factory wheelset, and you'll be living with some headaches down the road. You may be dealing with a proprietary spoke interface. You may get alloy nipples. Suck it up. But you DON'T want to wind up with a blown hub that costs you your wheelset.

Chubb/e13/The Hive, DT-Swiss, i9, Azonic, and (maybe) Shimano XTR would be good bets, because their hubs are offered as separate components. But maybe you want to take a look at some other options. Can you rate hub reliability of branded wheelsets? Scale of 1 to 5. (5 is rock-solid.)

Crank Brothers? Easton? ENVE? FSA? Fulcrum? Mavic? Stans?

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
I'd get a conventional wheelset with normal, J-bend spokes.

FYI: ENVE wheelsets are "custom" in that they are not branded but hand built with other people's hubs. The same goes for Stan's, although they have those "other people" engrave "ZTR" on them.

There's also a thing called the mail. :thumbsup:

·
apocalypse MEOW!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I shoulda dispensed with the window-dressing, and just axed straight up:

Why the ___ would anyone ride any of the above-mentioned brands, when you can hardly even guess at what hubs they're using? In-house experiments not ready for prime-time? Built by real hub experts but rebranded to hide their provenance? What on earth would make you risk 5 to 10 bills on mystery hubs????

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Fulcrum hubs are rumored to be made by campagnolo. Rim materials are also mavic like robust.

I've been researching the red zone am/enduro wheels because I'm hooked on fuss free tubeless and want a wider rim than the 819.

Easton haven seem to have a bad hub reputation.

Mavic you certainly used to need to have good access to spare parts for the freehub, although recent reports seem to be more promising.

I currently have XTR trail wheels but that means I'm limited to a 15mm qr front.

For 20+ years I built my own wheels and if Mavic did an 821 UST rim at reasonable trail weight, I still would.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fulcrum hubs are rumored to be made by campagnolo. Rim materials are also mavic like robust.

I've been researching the red zone am/enduro wheels because I'm hooked on fuss free tubeless and want a wider rim than the 819.

Easton haven seem to have a bad hub reputation.

Mavic you certainly used to need to have good access to spare parts for the freehub, although recent reports seem to be more promising.

I currently have XTR trail wheels but that means I'm limited to a 15mm qr front.

For 20+ years I built my own wheels and if Mavic did an 821 UST rim at reasonable trail weight, I still would.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Fulcrum is a Campy owned brand.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ok, I shoulda dispensed with the window-dressing, and just axed straight up:

Why the ___ would anyone ride any of the above-mentioned brands, when you can hardly even guess at what hubs they're using? In-house experiments not ready for prime-time? Built by real hub experts but rebranded to hide their provenance? What on earth would make you risk 5 to 10 bills on mystery hubs????
The hubs from the "name" brands are as much or more "in-house experiments" as the hubs in factory wheels.

Many of the factory wheels use hubs, or the internals, from major drivetrain manufacturers you many or may not know by name.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.